Discuss RCD tripping a mystery in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I have an issue with random RCD tripping. It happens at different times of the day and no obvious cause (ie particular piece of equipment).

All connected equipment has passed recent PAT test and IR on circuit looks ok (>600M PE).

A lot of the connected equipment has thermostat controlled heating elements - wax melting machines etc (it’s a beauty salon).

Had a thought that if a couple of RCD protected socket adapaters were put on the sockets and checked whenever it tripped, Does this sound like a reasonable albeit long winded way of narrowing down the fault??

Any other suggestions??

if you are thinking of the plug in type, you could get some 10mA ones. if it's appliance problem that would sort it. as long as you can rely on hair-brained beauticians to plug them in.

I would ask the customer to keep a log of when the tripping occurs.

What's the background leakage on the circuits protected by the RCD ?

You could have high leakage and anything could tip it over ....

What are the RCD test results?

For us to be informed on the installation could you also tell us:

1. the type of earthing system.
2. presence and state of EP bonding.
3. computer equipment?
4. any water leaks recently?
5. what kind of lighting?
6. how for example the wax baths are supplied.

if you are thinking of the plug in type, you could get some 10mA ones. if it's appliance problem that would sort it. as long as you can rely on hair-brained beauticians to plug them in.

I'm not sure you could guarantee discrimination using that method.

Just out of interest,has anyone else tested any of these plug-in RCD adapters? I did,on one me dad had purchased from B&Q and the best description i could give it,would be "random" :)

Hi

I have an issue with random RCD tripping. It happens at different times of the day and no obvious cause (ie particular piece of equipment).

All connected equipment has passed recent PAT test and IR on circuit looks ok (>600M PE).

A lot of the connected equipment has thermostat controlled heating elements - wax melting machines etc (it’s a beauty salon).

Had a thought that if a couple of RCD protected socket adapaters were put on the sockets and checked whenever it tripped, Does this sound like a reasonable albeit long winded way of narrowing down the fault??

Any other suggestions??

RCD Socket-Outlets
If you have socket-outlets which contain an RCD, it's important to ensure adequate discrimination has been provided. For example, if a socket-outlet containing a 30mA RCD is installed on the same circuit which is protected by another 30mA RCD at the consumer unit; it's possible that either of the RCD's will trip. Therefore, it's important to ensure discrimination is provided (delayed/higher value RCDs fitted at the source).

Earth-Leakage
Some appliances can 'leak' current to earth during use, which is known as an 'earth-leakage'. Often, the earth-leakage value is very small and insignificant on it's own, however if there are many appliances used which all contribute earth-leakage, the total value will increase and can trip a RCD (normally rated at 30mA).

RCD Testing
It's worthwhile performing tests on the RCD to ensure correct operation. This can include a ramp-test to determine the current required to trip the RCD and confirm functionality.

Reply to RCD tripping a mystery in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net