Discuss rcd tripping after smoke alarm fitted. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

How have you installed the 3 core and earth cable. Could you have possibly damaged(drilled/screwed) an existing cable located in the fabric of the property such as the wall?

Are you 100% sure you used the same cores in the interconnecting cable the same in each leg?

If you did IR at the board this wouldn't include the interconnecting cable so I suggest that you dis the smoke base and do IR across all 4 cores and see what comes back - and at the same time double check the colours and consistency.

Are you 100% sure you used the same cores in the interconnecting cable the same in each leg?

If you did IR at the board this wouldn't include the interconnecting cable so I suggest that you dis the smoke base and do IR across all 4 cores and see what comes back - and at the same time double check the colours and consistency.
yes Murdoch I had checked using a wander lead for each cable at the different areas.
This was before connecting to any equipment.
I also visually checked the cable and connections as well in case of loose connection,... although any faults should have been picked up in the initial IR / test.
I cant understand how even reverting it back to the original circuit it now still trips.

All the new cabling can be seen as there are no cable drops for the new circuit and the only part that is hidden is the drop to the consumer unit (this is the original cable which was operating beforehand).

I am trying to help here!

So there was originally 1 smoke alarm, fed by T&E from the fuseboard.

You've added another smoke and a heat alarm to the existing smoke.

Now either 1 or the other RCD will trip.....

You've used 3 core cable for the new smoke & heat?

Or have I missed something?

I am trying to help here!

So there was originally 1 smoke alarm, fed by T&E from the fuseboard.

You've added another smoke and a heat alarm to the existing smoke.

Now either 1 or the other RCD will trip.....

You've used 3 core cable for the new smoke & heat?

Or have I missed something?
apologies Murdoch if I seemed ungrateful I didn't intend to come across that way.
correct the supply is t&E from board then three core thereon
the third core is used for the interlink facility. if one alarm sounds they all sound together
I have drawn a very rough diagram I have left out the earth for clarity.

rough diagram].JPG

No offence taken!

Are you 100% sure you have the neutrals in the correct places in the smoke alarm bases

L
IC
N

yes mate I'm sure ...I checked three times or possibly four .That's why I took it back to the original circuit (T&E) to try and ascertain if it was a faulty unit to blame.
I checked with two base units and two detectors.
I couldn't understand why the other rcd tripped on two occasions though.
there was a lot of junk in the loft and I had to move some of it
I can only presume that somewhere I have maybe damaged another circuit ...but cant think if that's the case why it only trips when this circuit is made live and connected to the alarm..

What is the "new" cable run like? all clipped?

Still think you need to dis the new part and IR the new bit - and you must IR between ALL cores to make 100% sure.

What is the "new" cable run like? all clipped?

Still think you need to dis the new part and IR the new bit - and you must IR between ALL cores to make 100% sure.

Its all clipped in the loft area...
I appreciate what your saying. but I've disconnected the new part completely and the original cable, which was ok, is now the only part connected and its tripping the rcd !!!!

I disconnected it and IR tested that T&E as well

hence my headache !!!!

Next step, which seems a bit odd, but I think you should run the smoke from a new piece of t&e direct from the board at cu level. Do this to test the bases and heads you have.

You need to do this to rule them out of the problem ....

Sorry if I've missed something here but what is that other cable in the MCB? if the other RCD is tripping sounds like the crossed neutral. Just a thought but have you checked the two neutral bars are doing the corresponding MCB bank.

Sorry if I've missed something here but what is that other cable in the MCB? if the other RCD is tripping sounds like the crossed neutral. Just a thought but have you checked the two neutral bars are doing the corresponding MCB bank.
The other cable is lighting circuit for hall.
However I have tried the smoke alarm cicuit in the adjacent mcb on it's own.
As stated by you and others I will double check the neutral bar in case there is a crossover or borrowed neutral.
Thanks

Reply to rcd tripping after smoke alarm fitted. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net