Discuss rcd tripping after smoke alarm fitted. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

He has yet to clarify how it is connected and which parts are new and what is existing.
Sorry I thought it was clarified
T&E was existing cable to 1st smoke
New circuit from there is 3 core
L
N
IC
This allows interlinking .
After the fault occurred and rechecking via visual and ir test .I disconnected the new circuit and reverted back to original, T&E and first alarm
The rcd stills trips

Have you solely just powered the smoke detectors and nothing else on that rcd or even the house and if so does it still trip?

So to recap, everything was functioning correctly before addition.

Property had one smoke alarm fed via one LOSH (?) cable from CU.

Additional 3c & e cable installed. Tested. Put on smoke heads which trips 'either' RCD.

Addition disconnected, now original circuit with smoke head on, trips RCD when energised.

The only thing that has changed, is OP working in loft space.

My bit of input, I wonder what global IR test would reveal if anything?

I have to confess I have not digested the thread properly , but have you tried the circuit intact but with the alarms removed?

I have to confess I have not digested the thread properly , but have you tried the circuit intact but with the alarms removed?

Don't think he has, but he's tried using new base & head; still trips. As the alarms are class 2, does seem peculiar?

Wonder what would happen, if he connected a different load. Hardly scientific, just curious?

@Midwest . Yes , I was wondering , never had a faulty one ; but one of the units may be duff , or as has been alluded to -damaged.
Obvously looks like a borrowed neutral or earth fault in the feed , or the feed is supplying something else too if it is not dedicated.
First suspicion always goes to two way switching on up landing and down hall , but I think that is ruled out here .
Not a sneaky loft light is it?

@Midwest . Yes , I was wondering , never had a faulty one ; but one of the units may be duff , or as has been alluded to -damaged.
Obvously looks like a borrowed neutral or earth fault in the feed , or the feed is supplying something else too if it is not dedicated.
First suspicion always goes to two way switching on up landing and down hall , but I think that is ruled out here .
Not a sneaky loft light is it?

Possiblier, think I would also do that global IR.

ok so I went back today with fresh eyes and clear head.
I checked the circuit again all good, visually and ir test.
amongst other things,I decided to give the board a good look over
it had only been fitted last year.
long story short ... I found a fault the bus bar where it should connect the live side of rcd to mcb it wasn't connected properly. In the MCB it was touching the outside of the screw clamp
ie the cable entry clamp was closed and it wasn't securely holding the bus bar .
Thus the only thing that was securely holding the bus bar in place were the screws/cable clamp of the rcd. As I was switching on the mcb switching up the way there was slight movement of the mcb .
I checked the other side and it was the same
it was as though whoever fitted the board had connected the bus bar outside on the rcd and thereafter placed the mcb

I sorted this and then tried again and success all working properly
what I did notice as well was when the cover was on its a tight fight due to the metal so there is no movement/play at all when switching on or off any mcb or rcd . sometimes the plastic boxes had a bit of play due to being flimsy.
When the other side was tripping I think I had been switching on and off via main switch, so may explain the other rcd tripping with the slight movement.
I cant find anything else that's wrong anymore and its working now
thanks to all that helped and replied last night.
I was particularly thankful for the support here, as other forums I've seen people ridiculed asking for help.

Cool. This electrickery stuff does throw some curved balls sometimes. Thanks for putting us out of misery, and replying back. Have an extra cup of tea, or a wee dram tonight!

Edit; another 'check' item to put in the RCD keeps tripping box for forum FAQ's :)

Last edited:
[
Cool. This electrickery stuff does throw some curved balls sometimes. Thanks for putting us out of misery, and replying back. Have an extra cup of tea, or a wee dram tonight!

Edit; another 'check' item to put in the RCD keeps tripping box for forum FAQ's :)
did you mean I should place the info there ?

I must admit to having a beer on a tonight to celebrate ...school night as well lol

Reply to rcd tripping after smoke alarm fitted. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock