Discuss RCD Tripping and Surge protection devices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

not particularly

but apparently they can be a nuisance-downstream of rcds

what type of SPD? if it's a multilead spd -can you swop it out to confirm?

if it's in the DB i assume it should be 'upstream'

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...known them to cause or at least contribute to nuisance tripping, mainly when several SP leads are in use on a system with a 30ma RCD main switch ,after removal (of the leads)things improved somewhat,and no other obvious causes found.
They are often the cause of low IR readings if you miss them,typically around 0.3Mohm.

yes I have a couple of years ago it seems they can cause nuisence tripping, but I had one for my computer and I did not have any problems so I cannot say for sure.

Surge protection devices do trip RCDs as they regulate transient voltages and RCDs are voltage sensative.

The class I SPD device is normally the one fitted at the origin of the installtion and is for protection against direct lightning strikes.

Class II are normally at sub board level and used for transient voltage surges on indirect lightning strikes, motors flourescent fittings, and equipment that have transient switching loads.

Class III are the very local ones used at individual pieces of equipment or on extension leads.

Most installtions that require SPD use a combination of devices and they are mostly class I and II which would be upstram of RCD protection.

Unfortunately what happens with the class III in the UK is when you get brown outs, or even switching on the distribution network it will cause the SPD to intiate and of course it will unbalance the RCD causing it to trip

Surge protection devices do trip RCDs as they regulate transient voltages and RCDs are voltage sensative.

The class I SPD device is normally the one fitted at the origin of the installtion and is for protection against direct lightning strikes.

Class II are normally at sub board level and used for transient voltage surges on indirect lightning strikes, motors flourescent fittings, and equipment that have transient switching loads.

Class III are the very local ones used at individual pieces of equipment or on extension leads.

Most installtions that require SPD use a combination of devices and they are mostly class I and II which would be upstram of RCD protection.

Unfortunately what happens with the class III in the UK is when you get brown outs, or even switching on the distribution network it will cause the SPD to intiate and of course it will unbalance the RCD causing it to trip

What is a "brown out"?:confused:

Malcolm,
No SPD will protect against a direct strike, they are not designed to protect against direct strikes, even origin spurge protective devices are only designed to protect against man made and naturally induced transients to a level well below the energy of a direct strike.

HTH.

Malcolm,
No SPD will protect against a direct strike, they are not designed to protect against direct strikes, even origin spurge protective devices are only designed to protect against man made and naturally induced transients to a level well below the energy of a direct strike.

HTH.

Their are Transient protectors specifically design to protect against Lightning transients.

Regards Chris

Reply to RCD Tripping and Surge protection devices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock