Discuss RCD tripping Continuity test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

coatesykid

Hi, am doing a continuity test on living room light, downstairs MCB off, last light in circuit, incoming to light disconnected, disconnect switch twin and earth, cross connected Earth and neutral in switch, did a continuity test at light and the RCD trips.

Any help appreciated, only thing I could think of is that the current sent from tester is leaking out the switch cable into another cable and tripping RCD.

should it mater all im doing is testing a cable that isn't connected to any thing at either end

Of course it matters if the cables are still connected in the consumer unit. Soon as you join N & E together at other end it will trip he RCD.

Oops just re-read I thought he meant the cable wasnt connected either end.

As sintra said if its still connected in the consumer it will trip. You've only disconnected the line conductor, neutral and cpc are still connected.

Hi, am doing a continuity test on living room light, downstairs MCB off, last light in circuit, incoming to light disconnected, disconnect switch twin and earth, cross connected Earth and neutral in switch, did a continuity test at light and the RCD trips.

Any help appreciated, only thing I could think of is that the current sent from tester is leaking out the switch cable into another cable and tripping RCD.
please Expand LOL

please Expand LOL

I Made a mistake in first post said tested natural and earth ment switch live and earth.

Ill try and explain better twin and earth which includes switch live, live and earth, from switch to ceiling rose disconnected at both ends so its isn't part of the circuit, continuity between live and switch live good, continuity between earth and switch live trips RCD

I'd say we have all done it , working on dual board and knocked breaker off fixing something and not even known conductors have touched.. I've done it anyway and when turned on, go wtf for split sec....

-

yea but its being 18 months since I change C.U

sorry guys having trouble typing on the site keeps missing letters out and jumping about

Reply to RCD tripping Continuity test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net