Discuss rcd tripping during the night and insulation resistance testing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a customer who has a RCD that trips during the night and it resets ok the following day it is ok for a week or so then it tips again during the night.

has any one any ideas and what is the quickest way of finding out what the cause is.
also

I need to do an insulation resistance test an a installation that is totally loaded with equipment that will be damaged if tested and removal is totally impractical any one any advise on a totally safe way to do it
thanks
phil

First thing is to look at things that are most likely triggering the fault in the night. Heating timeclocks, outside PIR lights, off peak supply etc.

First thing to check is what is happening through the night that is not happening through the day. Could it be the first activation of a PIR for instance now that the nights are drawing in a bit .
I have not read your profile , so maybe stating the obvious , IR test with LN Joined for vulnerable equipment.

For no scientific reason, I'm liking external lights on PIR for this. Neighbour's cat runs across the yard... I guess it's TNCS PME and a mix of circuits on that RCD? Gas boiler?

Hi I know that insulation resistance testing is normaly carried out with the LN joined but I am always all ways nervous that some damage may sill be done as there is so much sensitive equipment around LEDs Computer eqipiment
phil

Isolate as much as possible and then do proper 3 core ir tests ..... nothing else will work

As the customer to make a note of when it happens ...

I’ve got a similar problem with a customer ... it only trips when they are in, and the kitchen circuit is thought to be the issue .... or an appliance ..... and their DAB radio is the main contender.... it has a plug power adaptor .....

Seen this once before but it was a laptop charger that was to blame ...

Times when RCD's trip and incidences of tripping when loads are switched on often mislead and take the inexperienced up the wrong path, especially when faults are N-E. As has already been stated an IR test wont damage anything as long as you keep the test voltage at 250v and do not IR L-N. Bear in mind that if the RCD is tripping this will be a fault/leakage to earth so a L-N test is pointless. Leave all loads in place on the initial test, don't unplug anything. If you get a low reading then start removing loads testing as you go. Lots of people unplug everything before testing, this proves nothing as the cause of the fault may no longer be in place, you want it there when you test, it is a major confidence boost if you quickly establish what you are looking for . 99% of the time RCD tripping can be quickly traced with a logical approach and just an IR tester. I do not possess an earth leakage clamp, while I accept they are useful I trace and rectify faults all the time with just an IR tester.

Test L/N linked at 500v.
If you are just fault finding then I would stick at 250v with loads connected. There is nothing to be gained in this scenario from using 500v IR. You will pick it up on 250v. I know if you link L&N it there is then 0v pd between them but the 250v is a safety net if L or N is opened for any reason in circuit with a termination, switching or MCB etc and you then risk 500v across vulnerable equipment.
I only ever use 500v when I'm 100% all loads are disconnected.

Reply to rcd tripping during the night and insulation resistance testing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock