• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss RCD Tripping Hell with high load in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Fletch

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. First time poster here with a hell of a lot less hair than I had 3 weeks ago now! so please be nice, I'll try and explain best I can. I am not a sparky but have some idea of electrics. I also own a multimeter.

Short version. 100A, 30mA RCD trips INTERMITTENTLY on WYLEX 8 fuse board when 'large load' is added (eg ~12A). It's not isolated to 1 MCB as can be cooker or inmersion or Hoover tripping RCD. Does it anytime of day. New immersion heater, new sockets throughout house same problem. Had an electrical safety test pass.

Longer storey.

Bought house in April. Had an electrician change all socket faces and carry out electrical test in doing so he found the RCD on the 'constant live' board (as we have eco 7 board for the storage heaters) had been bypassed. He reconnected it and since then (June) it's been tripping out left right and centre. I've worked out it happens when the load on the circuits is high, e.g. When the cooker AND the immersion is on, or when the heater and Hoover is turned on pulling more than say 10A and this can be across multiple MCBs. But all are ok if on individually. The immersion heater (3KW) is brand spanking new (like installed yesterday new as we were told it could be a leakage there (but we needed a new one anyway ) and the cooker is new ish too . So tripping hell for the last few months not solved by new immersion. Now Over the past 2 nights the RCD has tripped when, the cooker and immersion were on, when the kettle and immersion was on, when the lounger heater and cooker were on and the overnight when the off peak heating kicked in too, (so no hot water in morning) but only on the constant live RCB tripped as though the load of heaters and immersion is too high. There no issues with any low loading appliances such as lighting or phone chargers or plugs. But I'm sat here in bed now the immersion is on happy as Larry with no issues. Als FYI -There is not earth loop throughout the upstairs lighting .

Personal diagnosis:
I've spent days reading about N-E faults but they appear to be on a specific circuit, whereas my RCD Will trip even if the MCB for the last thing to cause the tripping is off... could that still be a N-E fault? I've also been round and unplugged everything (as the sparky did) and plugged things in individually and had no issues (including Hoover and putting just immersion/cooler on) utill putting more than one on.

Other one I've read about is a cummuliative earth leakage, which as the current load on the circuits goes up it exceeds the 30mA RCD value which I think personally is most likely but I don't have any clues on how to test this?!

I've read about broken RCDs too but everyone I've seen/read has said it won't be that.

We've spent a grand on electricians so far and are drastically running out of money, we feel a little as though the guy who did the safety test 'missed' something or didn't investigate properly, but he says it's all fine and can't see anything that would be causing it.

Hellllllllllllp! Is there anything I can do indivually with my trusty multimeter to see if I can work out just WTF is causing it?

I've uploaded a picture of my box setup. You can see that the cooker MCB Is off from last nights requirement for hot water but the immersion will still work with it on just so long as the cooker it's self isn't heating up.

Any help MASSIVELY appreciated.

Cheers

A Balding M

RCD Tripping Hell with high load image - EletriciansForums.net

Hi all. First time poster here with a hell of a lot less hair than I had 3 weeks ago now! so please be nice, I'll try and explain best I can. I am not a sparky but have some idea of electrics. I also own a multimeter.

Short version. 100A, 30mA RCD trips INTERMITTENTLY on WYLEX 8 fuse board when 'large load' is added (eg ~12A). It's not isolated to 1 MCB as can be cooker or inmersion or Hoover tripping RCD. Does it anytime of day. New immersion heater, new sockets throughout house same problem. Had an electrical safety test pass.

Longer storey.

Bought house in April. Had an electrician change all socket faces and carry out electrical test in doing so he found the RCD on the 'constant live' board (as we have eco 7 board for the storage heaters) had been bypassed. He reconnected it and since then (June) it's been tripping out left right and centre. I've worked out it happens when the load on the circuits is high, e.g. When the cooker AND the immersion is on, or when the heater and Hoover is turned on pulling more than say 10A and this can be across multiple MCBs. But all are ok if on individually. The immersion heater (3KW) is brand spanking new (like installed yesterday new as we were told it could be a leakage there (but we needed a new one anyway ) and the cooker is new ish too . So tripping hell for the last few months not solved by new immersion. Now Over the past 2 nights the RCD has tripped when, the cooker and immersion were on, when the kettle and immersion was on, when the lounger heater and cooker were on and the overnight when the off peak heating kicked in too, (so no hot water in morning) but only on the constant live RCB tripped as though the load of heaters and immersion is too high. There no issues with any low loading appliances such as lighting or phone chargers or plugs. But I'm sat here in bed now the immersion is on happy as Larry with no issues. Als FYI -There is not earth loop throughout the upstairs lighting .

Personal diagnosis:
I've spent days reading about N-E faults but they appear to be on a specific circuit, whereas my RCD Will trip even if the MCB for the last thing to cause the tripping is off... could that still be a N-E fault? I've also been round and unplugged everything (as the sparky did) and plugged things in individually and had no issues (including Hoover and putting just immersion/cooler on) utill putting more than one on.

Other one I've read about is a cummuliative earth leakage, which as the current load on the circuits goes up it exceeds the 30mA RCD value which I think personally is most likely but I don't have any clues on how to test this?!

I've read about broken RCDs too but everyone I've seen/read has said it won't be that.

We've spent a grand on electricians so far and are drastically running out of money, we feel a little as though the guy who did the safety test 'missed' something or didn't investigate properly, but he says it's all fine and can't see anything that would be causing it.

Hellllllllllllp! Is there anything I can do indivually with my trusty multimeter to see if I can work out just WTF is causing it?

I've uploaded a picture of my box setup. You can see that the cooker MCB Is off from last nights requirement for hot water but the immersion will still work with it on just so long as the cooker it's self isn't heating up.

Cheers

A Balding M

View attachment 38362

View attachment 38363

View attachment 38364
When you say there is not an earth loop in the lighting upstairs, do you mean the lighting has no earth wires,( cpcs )?
Did your Electrician explain why the RCD had been bypassed? it seems that whoever bypassed the RCD did so because it was showing the same problems you are experiencing now.
When your Electrician did the "checks" on your installation, did he do any testing with a Multi Function Tester (MFT), and if so were any test results issued to you in the form of EICR? Sorry for all the questions, but with your problems, it's going to be questions, questions until someone can form an opinion as to what the problem may be, one more question, sorry, are there any specific times the RCD trips, for example is it only at night?

Last edited:
Welcome Fletch to the forum. Sorry to hear of your problem. All of those things you mentioned, could be the cause of your problem. Unfortunately for you, you current standard tariff has one RCD protecting all the sockets, cooker etc.

I'm afraid the only way to get to the bottom of this, is to employ a competent electrician to carry out suitable testing to locate the fault(s). Perhaps have an Electrical Installation Condition Report carried out, and even consider having your consumer unit replaced, when the fault has been located.

You are not going to rectify this issue yourself.

There is little or nothing you or your trusty multi meter can do.

You need a local spark to properly test your RCD, test all the circuits INDIVIDUALLY for IR and have an earth leakage clamp meter.

Doing what? What certificates have they given you?

I'm afraid the only way to get to the bottom of this, is to employ a competent electrician to carry out suitable testing to locate the fault(s). Perhaps have an Electrical Installation Condition Report carried out, and even consider having your consumer unit replaced, when the fault has been located.

You are not going to rectify this issue yourself.

*crying face* Ok,

Do you Any clues (even ball park figure) on the cost of an electrical installation condition report? 3 bed terrace.

^^ from what you describe a EICR won't help.

Read my post #5 and get that done?

Unless you know the RCD is OK, the IR is OK and you haven't got excessive earth leakage, you won't move forward.....

One other point - it "could" be the incoming supply causing this.

Doing what? What certificates have they given you?

Replaced all socket faces and installed some new sockets. Replaced all light fittings. Carried out electrical safety tests. Replaced earth rod (old one had too higher resistance). Installed earth to the copper piping in house, I have Certs for tests.

^^ OK

So your "grand" has been spent on improvements ........... so its not wasted as such.

If you don't have faith in said spark, ask around locally , but when you call them, I would make sure they have an earth leakage clamp meter they can bring - not all "sparks" have these, and for faults as you describe they are essential.

Longer storey.

Personal diagnosis:

Cheers

A Balding M

View attachment 38362

View attachment 38363

View attachment 38364
Fletch where are you based? as the code you have in your profile comes up all over the place?

^^ OK

So your "grand" has been spent on improvements ........... so its not wasted as such.

If you don't have faith in said spark, ask around locally , but when you call them, I would make sure they have an earth leakage clamp meter they can bring - not all "sparks" have these, and for faults as you describe they are essential.

Magic.. don't work in north Wales do you Murdoch? Haha.

So your consensus is that there's an earth leakage on one of the circuits? Or more than one? If the latter causing a cumulative tripping level leakage?

Tracking RCD faults is notoriously difficult, personally I am always worried when I get called out for an RCD fault because it can be so many things and somtimes really obscure. The good news is there is a way to test methodically to assess what the problem is it just takes a very logical approach, good test gear and knowing how to use it. You have to measure in different ways the amount of leakage on any part, and all of the installation. As it has been said you need a decent electrician who knows how to do this. Suggest you specifically ask the electrician "Can you track down RCD problem?" You will have to use your nous to divine whether they sound competent or not. I would guess it cannot take more than a day to find the fault, but normally should be quicker.
I might guess that the element is going on your cooker and the symptom is sub clinical so to speak before it becomes full blown cooker circuit blowing. As you say it seems there is cumulative earth leakage identified to cooker and immersion, maybe also other equipment. A ramp test can show how much is leaking from each appliance with a bit of basic maths.

Magic.. don't work in north Wales do you Murdoch? Haha.

So your consensus is that there's an earth leakage on one of the circuits? Or more than one? If the latter causing a cumulative tripping level leakage?

I rarely drive more than 10 miles, let alone 200!

I'm only speculating - and I'm well know for HATING up front RCD's and dual RCD boards.

If and I say if you decide to go for a new fuse board, just remember, one using RCBO's will be more expensive to install, but only individual circuits will trip, so resulting issues down the line will be far easier and cheaper to locate

As you know, I don't do EICR's. But just looking at that CU, with different makes of MCB's, inappropriate circuit identification, missing blanks in other switch gear, I indeed think a check of the remaining installation would obtain some benefit from an EICR. IMO

Not sure I agree ............. a cowboy EICR isn't likely to show anything relating to the issue.

The best thing the OP can do is keep a log of when it trips and what was being used....

Ll54 5sd is the postcode.. just south of caernarfon in north Wales.
Well that rules me out for any practical help, my passport has lapsed.
^^ from what you describe a EICR won't help.

Read my post #5 and get that done?

Unless you know the RCD is OK, the IR is OK and you haven't got excessive earth leakage, you won't move forward.....

One other point - it "could" be the incoming supply causing this.
Hi Murdoch, you mention that an EICR probably wouldn't help, yet in your post#5 you mention IR testing RCD testing and lastly an earth leakage test. The first 2 tests IR nd RCD would be carried out in an EICR, or at least they would if I was doing it.

Not sure I agree ............. a cowboy EICR isn't likely to show anything relating to the issue.

The best thing the OP can do is keep a log of when it trips and what was being used....

Well I go to the foot of my stairs. I've read numerous threads where members advise the complete opposite. I have my views on the costs of EICR's, and as the OP is considering a CU replacement, I'd spend my dosh on that. But you do surprise me Murdoch. :)

A ramp test may indicate that the rcd is also a little sensitive
Had one yesterday that tripped at 17mA and kept tripping on a non trip loop impedance test.

Reply to RCD Tripping Hell with high load in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back