Discuss RCD tripping - Hypothetical question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bullethead

Ok gents (and ladies), new on here so go easy please!
In a couple of weeks I am planning on doing my first CU installation (replace old Wylex fuse box).
My concern is the potential for nuisance tripping after the unit is installed, I intend to fully test before fitting the new unit to give me confidence that the wiring is in good nick but what if something like a freezer causes a problem?
Hypothetical situation:
Freezer trips RCD, customer has loads of food about to defrost, it’s very late in the day.
I have a ‘High integrity’ CU with a spare way on the non-RCD protected section. Can I move the circuit from which the freezer is supplied onto this spare way, to enable it to keep functioning until such time as the customer gets a new freezer! (Label up all the sockets on the circuit accordingly?)

Hope that makes sense!

I was answering this but I cant be bothered to type it all out, so over to someone else with faster fingers!

Yes "you" "can" do anything you want.

But no, don't do it!

That's the lazy answer!

Yes you can but you need to know 100% the cable route for the none rcd circuit. If the cable inside the wall is less than 50mm from the surface of the wall, it needs to be on an rcd.

basicaly now bs7671 17th edition as paul.m 50mm, also personal protection, rcd. if freezer cable was swa, or pvc/pvc clipped direct, with mechanical protection in areas,in trunking or conduit, and was isolated with a switched fused spur, not a socket. yes this way can be a none rcd circuit

Clamp the freezer with a mA clamp and see how much it is leaking as it could be a electric shock waiting to happen.

The values that are allowed are Class 1 products up to 3.5 mA (0.75 mA if hand held ).

I doubt you will come across many customers who have their freezer on its own radial circuit its normally on the rfc !

Its your decision as you sign the EIC !

Of course you would do it, as a strictly temporary measure.

Many thanks to all who have responded thus far.
Murdoch, I would make it very clear to the customer that this 'solution' would be very much a temporary measure until such time that the freezer is replaced or I (or someone else) runs a dedicated supply for a freezer only, labelled outlet.

I couldn't think of any other alternatives in this hypothetical scenario that would avoid the customer losing their freezer ...any suggestions gladly received!

If you have a spare way in the board you could install a none rcd socket next to the cu and run an extension cable from it, temporary solution only. Think about trip hazards etc.

edit. You will need to label the socket "none rcd, not for external use". And I assume the fridge is'nt in the bathroom lol (seen it before though)

Last edited:
If you have a spare way in the board you could install a none rcd socket next to the cu and run an extension cable from it, temporary solution only. Think about trip hazards etc.

edit. You will need to label the socket "none rcd, not for external use". And I assume the fridge is'nt in the bathroom lol (seen it before though)

That's a good idea Paul, many thanks. Guess that is the benefit of experience and the sort of thing I will one day think of for myself! In the meantime, forums such as this are invaluable.

I prefer to test first and test again afterwards. It takes longer but at least you are made aware of any faults before you start poking around with the installation. Takes any uncertainties away from the client too as they know that you have not interfered with the installation so the fault must have been there.

Had a fault today, open circuit (Neutral) on a socket ring final circuit, also aware that the upstairs and downstairs lights cannot yet be split as there is not a 3 core cable between the upstairs landing and downstairs hallway lights. This is a favourite that'll make RCD's trip ;)

Your suggestion of fitting it to a non rcd protected circuit in your new consumer unit would be feasible as you are not making the installation any less safe than it was before you arrived and it would only be done as a temporary measure as work has not yet been completed and certificated. I have never done this but if ever the situation did arise then I would have to get the client to sign against it being a temporary measure whilst fault finding work was carried out. Just imagine if you took this measure and then the client decided they didn't want you to carry out the repair work... that would become an issue not worth thinking about.

Reply to RCD tripping - Hypothetical question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net