Discuss RCD tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

ragtime27

Hello all,

i have an issue with a commercial dishwasher who has been checked by an Engineer with no fault.

RCD trips as soon i switch the wall socket,however i've unplugged every plug i have and surprise it does not trip.

now,i've tried to see if have split load,correct me if i'm wrong,i did switch RCD(got just one) off and i ended with , 3 MCBs on the right of the RCD still working(2xlights and one socket),does is mean i have split load?

now,to confuse you more,i've tried to plug the dishwasher into the socket i have mentioned above and no power to the dishwasher even though that the socket works.

dishwasher is 15amp.

can anyone help.

thanks

Does the dishwasher work in any other socket, if so you could have a faulty socket. Don't try to fiddle with it yourself. Time to get an electrician in.

I was just going to say it sounds like a faulty socket outlet, which could explain the tripping.

thanks guys for the reply,
no it doesn't work with the other circuit,i have tried different sockt to no avail.

as mentioned above,when i unplug all other appliances in the shop(commercial setting).
it does not trip the RCD,and the dishwasher gets the power.

as shown on the picture 3 MCBs on the right of the RCD (2xlights and one socket) are not protected by RCD.

when i use the socket i mentioned above(right side of RCD) nothing happens no power no tripping.

i forgot to mention that the dishwasher is second hand never used in the shop.

thanks

Attachments

• RCD tripping 20150317_162918 - EletriciansForums.net
    20150317_162918.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 32
OK. i give up. where's the rat? the one that made that nest.

don't give up man......the cover is removed for the purpose of the picture.

i'm not sure how bad is the nest.

Some cables look as though there may be heat damage this could also contribute to the RCD tripping. For safeties sake at least get an electrician in to have a look.

Hmmm! No-one collar the commercial 15amp bit and on a plug top and socket (domestic plug and socket by the sound of it) ?..... side stepping the tripping issues for a moment why are you trying to run a commercial washer of this size on a plug top, can you give us the plated rating of the unit in watts or Kwatts to confirm you have the correct plug arrangement or not.

the heat damage is about 10 years old,not new.

nothing trips at the moment except the new item (second hand dishwasher).

the dishwasher comes with 2.9kw,15amp and it came with that plug.

i wanted to understand why it doesn't trip when everything else is unplugged.

is it earth leaking is to high for the current RCD and will RCBO solve the issue?

Attachments

• RCD tripping 20150304_221107 - EletriciansForums.net
    20150304_221107.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
the heat damage is about 10 years old,not new.

nothing trips at the moment except the new item (second hand dishwasher).

the dishwasher comes with 3.7kw,15amp and it came with that plug.

i wanted to understand why it doesn't trip when everything else is unplugged.

is it earth leaking is to high for the current RCD and will RCBO solve the issue?

This should not be on a standard plug top regardless how it came, in order to resolve your issues you'll have to get someone in to test the circuits, measure the existing leakage and perform other checks. An rcbo will still be giving 30mA earth leakage protection and may be an option as a dedicated circuit but tests need doing and you have no spare capacity in the board for an rcbo.

Reply to RCD tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock