Discuss RCD tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mdgibbs32

Hi All
I have a prob i hope someone has come across
clients RCD is tripping at odd times. Doest seem to be any pattern or any specific piece of equipment causing it. Not one particular circuit either...trips on downstairs ring, upstairs ring, lightings ...you name it.
Wont reset until all mcbs are off, then switch mcbs back on individualy. Sometimes will be fine, sometimes an mcb will trip it (never same mcb twice)...do it all again and rcd is fine.

tested all circuits insulation test, all ok.

Im lost, only thing i can think of is the actual RCD is "twitchy" but ive never come across that before.
Any ideas anyone ?

Try the ramp test at the RCD with no loads connected and note the reading. Then turn all circuits and loads on then redo ramp test. The difference between the 2 readings will be the approximate earth leakage on the loads. Remember a 30mA RCD can trip at anything >15mA.

I had a faulty RCD a while back that had been playing havoc. Tripped at random and occasionally wouldn't reset with a load connected.

Worked out it was a faulty unit when I did an RCD auto test about 5 times and got varying results.

Try the ramp test at the RCD with no loads connected and note the reading. Then turn all circuits and loads on then redo ramp test. The difference between the 2 readings will be the approximate earth leakage on the loads. Remember a 30mA RCD can trip at anything >15mA.

got to agree with this for probable cause

sorry sintra just making sure i understood this properly... ramp rest at the rcd...reconnect circuits and mcbs, then ramp test again at the rcd...have i git that right ?

sorry sintra just making sure i understood this properly... ramp rest at the rcd...reconnect circuits and mcbs, then ramp test again at the rcd...have i git that right ?

That's basically right. If you're getting a lot of earth leakage then you may well have found the cause of the RCD tripping. The next job will be tracing where the leakage is coming from! I had a job once where the leakage was around 20mA all the time. The RCD seemed to be teetering on the edge of tripping all the time, and intermittently would operate, seemingly at random. It turned out to be a crushed line and CPC at a DIY-installed spur off a spur in the loft. Took me ages to find the fault, mainly because the homeowner didn't even know that socket was there, and it was hidden under a load of crap that had been dumped in the loft!

You can still hope it's just a faulty RCD though.

That's basically right. If you're getting a lot of earth leakage then you may well have found the cause of the RCD tripping. The next job will be tracing where the leakage is coming from! I had a job once where the leakage was around 20mA all the time. The RCD seemed to be teetering on the edge of tripping all the time, and intermittently would operate, seemingly at random. It turned out to be a crushed line and CPC at a DIY-installed spur off a spur in the loft. Took me ages to find the fault, mainly because the homeowner didn't even know that socket was there, and it was hidden under a load of crap that had been dumped in the loft!

You can still hope it's just a faulty RCD though.

Dont you just love them jobs......:)

Reply to RCD tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock