Discuss RCD trips when power lost in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Customer complaining that RCD trips when there is loss of power - lives out in the sticks and had some power outages during the winter storms.

CU is an old Wylex fuseboard with a 30mA RCD at the front end. TT earthing. RCD trips OK on test.

Can replicate the fault by simply turning off the main switch on the CU. Doesn't seem to be related to any one circuit being energised at the time of switching off.

Can anyone think of why the RCD should trip when power is lost or when the power is turned off?

Am planning to replace RCD with another and see if that exhibits same problem.

You say that it is an old Wylex board. I'm guessing you may have the old Voltage operated RCD affectionately known as VOELCB.

These work on voltage fluctuations rather than earth faults and are often activated during electrical storms.

Votlage RCD.jpg

Would this be the beastie ?

my VOLCB tester.

ae235

as in a witch trial. if it breaks, it's innocent. if it survives, it's guilty.

Reply to RCD trips when power lost in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I swapped a 2 gang switched socket for a 2 gang switchless socket with usb ports downstairs. I switched off all the power to the house by...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been a while since I have been on here. I have been on an apprenticeship the last 3 years training in the BMS world. Taking that into...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I am a homeowner (but not an electrician) and I am renovating a house that has an old CU containing MCBs and an MK LN5725 residual...
Replies
Views
Hello. we have had a few powercuts over past few months and am in middle of one at the moment where power has gone off a few times while DNO are...
Replies
Views
We have one room that seems to have lost most of its power last night. One of the outlets in the rooms has a power strip plugged in that powers...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock