Discuss RCD won't turn on. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr Curnow

The problem arose from when the kitchen stopped working, we tried turning the kitchen back on but now the whole circuit is out, the RCD is stuck permanently off.

so I checked a socket that we think it was that had a short circuit, it's not that. Apparently the RCD has been tripping every few months, but now is permanently off.

what do you think it is?

Unplug everything from the circuit and switch off any switched fused spurs then try to reset the RCD once. If the RCD resets then the fault is in one of the items unplugged or switched off.
If it does not reset then you will need to employ an electrician to carry out testing if the installation.

Don't repeatedly attempt to reset the RCD, closing it onto a fault many times may well damage it.

Some RCD's require themselves to be switched fully off 'down' and then back on 'up' after they have tripped, otherwise they will not let themselves be reset. I'm sure you already knew that though, but worth saying. But if this is an ongoing problem then its testing the IR of each circuit and identifying the faulty one and breaking it down.

The problem arose from when the kitchen stopped working, we tried turning the kitchen back on but now the whole circuit is out, the RCD is stuck permanently off.

so I checked a socket that we think it was that had a short circuit, it's not that. Apparently the RCD has been tripping every few months, but now is permanently off.

what do you think it is?

I would say 95% chance you have a fault, 5% chance its a design issue

Can you expand on what design issue would present these symptoms?
I'd expect a design issue to present a consistent problem rather than a deterioration

I would start to suspect anywhere that water and electricity might come together.
As it is the kitchen, My check list would be:
Any feeds to outside the house: sockets, lights, outbuildings that may be fed from the kitchen socket circuit
Central heating systems. eg leaks from pumps, valves etc. Turn off the boiler isolator switch
Washing machine/dishwasher. If you have switches for these above the worktop, turn them off. Or unplug the machines completely
Anything else plugged in to the sockets: kettles, toaster, lava lamp, etc etc

That may isolate the problem.
remember that RCDs will trip if there is a fault on the live or the neutral feed. Many switches only switch off the live connection, so you really have to ensure that any suspects are completely disconnected, or you'll run around in circles.

Let us know if you find anything.

Its just purely from observations, and of course as you are only there for the "fault" so have no way of knowing the history of the installation, what has been added, what has been taken away, sometimes it occurs after recently buying an appliance or when a specific appliance is used. So it is easy to say, oh its the appliance that is at fault. Over time RCDs can trip at a reduced threshold but still be within spec. I had one where several electricians, AV installers, alarm installers had been in, all blaming each other for a tripping RCD. The RCD was even changed as the old one would not hold, new one did and the installation was deamed "fixed" - only to trip a few months later. That's when I got called in, basically the place was full of legitimate leakage and a noisy earthing system, poor old RCDs didn't stand a chance...lol So I would say installations never stay the same, but if the fundamental design is wrong, they will trip without an actual fault you can fix. That's it really.... When I get called out, I have no clue what to expect but , just like the OP, I get asked "it trips, what could it be". I look at the overall installation, figure out if the RCD has a right to trip first or is it faulty and if it does, then work out why the RCD is tripping. Most of the time its the obvious, heating elements, outside stuff, rats / mice / etc but sometimes its just high leakage , 0.5mA here another there, it adds up...

Reply to RCD won't turn on. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net