Discuss Rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon chaps and chapettes, got a tricky one for discussions, firstly let me explain I am an Electrician (retired some six years now) my neighbour has just changed his consumers unit, or had it changed by someone and asked me to check it out as it keeps tripping without any load connected, I don't have any gizmos like like you young things have, didn't manage to take them with me when I left work. M y thoughts are that the sparky has got the phase wires on the two rings crossed, only one RCD any thoughts
Pete999

Disconnect each circuit one by one to find the offending circuit, then investigate the offending circuit, could be N to earth, L to earth, anything really.

The CU has 2 rings, with nothing plugged in all OK as soon as you plug anything in, in either ring RCD goes off

Nah tried all the usual things like that,still think the "sparky"????? got his rings mixed up, going with a friend who is still working to try and help out, let you all know if he can find out whats wrong.
Pete999

Could be anything really, Without test results its a difficult one to diagnose.. New duel board and lots of people get court out by shared nuetural but again without a tester and results its a tough one to call..

You sure everything is disconnected? Light on the top / bottom stairs deffo not on ?

Is it a dual RCD split load board ? It could be due to the neutrals being crossed over or a shared neutral with upstairs and down stairs lights or a borrowed neutal from a socket circuit to supply a lighting circuit.

Afternoon chaps and chapettes, got a tricky one for discussions, firstly let me explain I am an Electrician (retired some six years now) my neighbour has just changed his consumers unit, or had it changed by someone and asked me to check it out as it keeps tripping without any load connected, I don't have any gizmos like like you young things have, didn't manage to take them with me when I left work. M y thoughts are that the sparky has got the phase wires on the two rings crossed, only one RCD any thoughts
Pete999

New fuse board, only 1 RCD.

Please come clean - who changed it? Who bought it?

That's right if the board has been changed your man should of been given a full test cert best get the professionals in before it all goes Bad

going with a friend who is still working to try and help out, let you all know if he can find out whats wrong.
shouldn't be too taxing for a competent electrician to diagnose and rectify.
but, as has been mentioned, if it has been installed recently, get them in to sort it

It was changed yesterday he fitted it, put the cover on and did the foxtrot
Pete999

Reply to Rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock