Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss RCDs then RCBOs tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Stevewjj

Stevewjj EF Member

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on an electrical problem I am having.
    It started about 8 weeks ago with brief power interruptions causing some of my appliances & electronic devices to trip.
    This stopped but the 2 RCDs in my fusebox then started tripping simultaneously.
    I had an electrician in who checked the fusebox - all was fine. I then had my fuse box changed from RCDs to rcbos. The trips have continued - all 7 rcbos tripping simultaneously.
    The power company have been involved - set up a monitor to record the incoming supply. Nothing out of spec the first time - they then set up a more powerful monitor and are currently going over the data - awaiting results.
    I have unplugged/switched off everything in the house at the same time but all RCBOS still trip.
    I have gone through each RCBO leaving one off the other six on - no matter which one is off the other six trip out.
    I have switched off/unplugged everything and plugged in and switched things on one by one with no trips.
    I have had all my wiring tested and certified - all ok.
    There is a pattern of sorts - weekdays the trips happen between 7 & 11 am and 3 & 7 pm predominatly. More evenly at weekends.

I have run out of ideas & currently both my energy company and electrician are stumped. I would be grateful for any ideas.
    Thanks in advance.

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Has anyone checked for loose connections at the main switch, meter, service terminal blocks and service head.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Did this Electrician you employed do any testing? whose Idea was it to swap the CU? Did he produce an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC)?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stevewjj

Stevewjj EF Member

All connections in consumer unit were checked and energy company replaced cut off box. I'll have to check the rest - thanks

5. Stevewjj

Stevewjj EF Member

It was the electrician - and yes I have a EIC.

6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    You should have been given a EICat the completion of the work, from what you say, you didn't get one.

7. Stevewjj

Stevewjj EF Member

Sorry - testing also done.

8. Stevewjj

Stevewjj EF Member

Yes I got an EIC at completion.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I would suggest you get the electrician back .......... and ask him to do some more tests including a background earth leakage test.

All RCBO's tripping together is not normal at all .............. in fact its extremely unusual and I would be looking at the incoming supply ... and looking at the variance of the incoming supply - your spark can do this using his MFT.................

Do you have solar panels?

Are any of your neighbours experiencing anything similar?

Have you have any work done in your house recently?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - You've done the right thing to engage DNO and agree with @Murdoch@Murdoch post. I've not seen this fault before, but to take all the rcbo out simultaneously it's either a blindingly silly mistake in your CU or perhaps a DNO issue with their earth. Out of interest, can you advise the type of earthing used? (it will be written on your EIC)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  11. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Is interesting the time thing mind?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

What does this mean?

Are you on a busy road?

I'm thinking breakdown in the supply neutral ................. seen this on more than one occassion - normally in the head but also underground.

I would be getting the spark to redo the Ze tests ...........

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Murdoch, I was just thinking along the same lines regarding a loss of neutral but thinking switching inside the meter of the neutral but it was just a passing thought and there are other members on here that have more insight of metering/supplies.

14. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

What about a pic of the EIC; normally gets requested by know. Thought I'd be first in there.

OP, is it possible you can post a pic of your EIC, supply characteristic & test result pages would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stevewjj

Stevewjj EF Member

Screenshot_20180517-184309.png