Discuss Re connecting up customers immersion heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

apdevelopments

Hi.
Just been to a customers house which has just had a new water tank fitted by a plumber.
The customer would like me to re connect up his immersion heater as the plumber wouldn't do it. (clever plumber)!
During the quotation i noticed that the old immersion heater was on a 13 amp plug to a socket in the cupboard.
This socket used to supply the old immersion heater.
The problem is that the socket is on the main ring main.

My question is.

Even tho the old existing immersion heater was on the ring main can i connect the new immersion to it using a 13 amp fcu?

Yes I know the regs state that it should be on its own supply but in this customers house it is not.

Any advice on this one would be great.

This customer is about 100 years old so theres not alot of money about. Yes I would love to fit a whole new supply, change his consumer unit etc etc but you know what customers are like.:wink_smile:

Many thanks

Thinking on a personal basis, if the hot water is generally supplied via say a gas central heating system, and the electrical immersion heater is only for a stand-by back up, i wouldn't have a problem with the supply being a ring circuit!! Even less so, if the FRC is only suppling upstairs outlets...lol!!!

It states an immersion heater must not be supplied by a ring final circuit. p362, 433.1.5

That is appendix 15 and that appendix is informative and therefore should be treated as such. Also your still referencing the BS 7671-2008 which is no longer relevant, the reg your referring to is 433.1.103 and there is nothing in that regulation concerning water heaters.

Water heaters are covered in section 554 and there it states that a water heater having an immersed and uninsulated heating elements can not be connected via socket or plug 554.3.3. I think you'll find that most manufacturers will not class an immersion heater as this and so this rule does not apply

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by apdevelopments
It states an immersion heater must not be supplied by a ring final circuit. p362, 433.1.5

As Malcom said, this is informative (a recommendation), and it does not say the above at all

That is appendix 15 and that appendix is informative and therefore should be treated as such. ...

Thinking on a personal basis, if the hot water is generally supplied via say a gas central heating system, and the electrical immersion heater is only for a stand-by back up, i wouldn't have a problem with the supply being a ring circuit!! Even less so, if the FRC is only suppling upstairs outlets...lol!!!

This is the common sense approach, from those that use their heads, rather than taking everything stated in BS7671 as gospel.

Appendix 15 gives information for standard circuit arrangements.
Whilst it may be preferable to wire the immersion heater on a separate circuit, there is no prohibition against oe being connected to an RFC.
Obviously the existing configuration should be inspected for signs of over heating etc. The user should be quized as to whether there have been many times in the past where either the fuse wire has had to be replaced or the trip re-set.

Just out of interest apdevelopments, how far away is the CU, is there a fairly simple route, and a spare way on an RCD protected part of the fusen boxen?

as malc. and spin have stated, the app. recommendation is to avoid over;
loading the RFC. it is not a regulation. in this case, you are basically replacing/reconnecting like for like, and as you intend putting it on a FCU, you are not leaving the installation less safe than it was so i say just get on with it.

You cant treat every minor works job you do as if it were a new install (well you can but you're life will be a nightmare)
A lot of what is in the regs is meant as guidance about how new installations should be done, where adding individual circuits for 13a fixed loads etc is perfectly feasible.
When doing minor works type jobs you have to use your common sense.
You cant go tearing someones house apart putting chases down their nice wallpaper just because you remember reading somewhere that a 32a circuit can not take a 13a load (well you can but you're life will be a nightmare).

Reply to Re connecting up customers immersion heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net