Discuss Re-routing earth cable to behind kitchen cabinet, and clip/conduit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ohit1

-
Reaction score
Hi,
One of our earth cables is routed in-front of the rear of a kitchen cabinet. See photo.
This cable goes down to the gas mains/meter pipe and then up into the ceiling, and then I assume into the electrical consumer meter area.

Can I safely just cut this earth cable, re-route it behind the kitchen cabinet and mount a good quality/high current junction box to join them up again?
There is plenty of cable slack below for me to make it all neat.

Thanks

IMG_20170917_202121.jpg

There is a misconception that equipotential bonding cables must be continuous, but this isn't in BS7671

If, and I say if you do cut this cable , just make sure that the joint is accessible for later inspection.

Maybe you could get some self stick 16mm x 16mm conduit and put it in that? I suspect you are not an electrician and if you alter the installation you would normally ensure the readings meet regs. At least with the conduit you can neatly disappear it into the corner no? And there is also the faint possibility when you disconnect/cut an earth that a live can appear on it in certain fault conditions.

I would say it needs to be continuous if one cable is provided for combined water and gas bonding conductor , as in not cut when connected to the earth clamp then continuing on to the other extraneous part unbroken.

I would say it needs to be continuous if one cable is provided for combined water and gas bonding conductor , as in not cut when connected to the earth clamp then continuing on to the other extraneous part unbroken.

Post #2 applies

Without knowing what this cable is connected to,and why,any advice to cut it,would be foolish.
The OP has not stated that they have seen either end,and, used the word "assume".

I have witnessed an instance where a break in a supply SWA,was rectified by "bridge" of 10mm earth cable,carried out by a helpful builder,after a kitchen fitter heat-treated the end of his SDS bit.

Severing that cable,may have been more than an error.

Cutting it is not something i would do, its just poor practice, its a continuous cable for a reason. if it is cut then you need to ensure it can be accessed later on for inspection and testing

The danger being if the cable is disconnected from said clamp then you've lost the continuity to the other service which was bonded.
Also this is pointed out in GN8.
I do side with GN8 for them being continuous but you will be hard pushed to back this up in BS7671. That is why they require Do Not Disconnect notices.

Agreed, but I do follow its reasoning and would say this is a better method of pratice.

The danger being if the cable is disconnected from said clamp then you've lost the continuity to the other service which was bonded.
Also this is pointed out in GN8.

Not enough people actually buy BS 7671 let alone the guidance notes.

If the Muppets want the cable to be continuous, they need to make sure it's stipulated in the 18th edition.

Why doesn't he/she neatly clip it down the side/back of the unit. Then he/she would not have to worry about what BS7671 or GN8 says. Not that I think the OP cares, scarpering soon after posting.

I am slightly surprised,that a question from a potential DIY OP,regarding whether or not they "can cut a cable",has migrated into a regs debate.

The answer to that question is no. Not until it can be confirmed,competently,what it is connecting...if anything.

Once we know,what it does,then,and only then,can it's moving/joining/marking,be of contention.

Cut, route and crimp, with properly rated crimper and heat shrink. Leave crimp accessible- Tin Hat On!!!!!!!

Forgot to update you all... thanks for all your replies.
I clipped the cable to the side after removing the back bar/panel of the cabinet. No cutting or disconnecting of the cable involved. Also checked continuity from the ends of the earth cable (i.e. from gas supply/meter pipe where the earth cable came from to the earth block near CU unit) and it 'passed'.
Appreciate the education all - thank you.

Reply to Re-routing earth cable to behind kitchen cabinet, and clip/conduit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net