Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Re-wire preference - under floorboards or removed ceiling in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sctyc16

sctyc16 EF Member

Hi!

I'm new to the forum - thanks for having me.

I have a question for a domestic rewire - I just bought my first property and want to know the prefered method for a rewire and if it really matters or is a personal preference.

I'm going to rip down the thin chipboard ceiling and have it replaced - do electricians prefer to rewire from below with the ceiling removed or from above wiring below floorboards onto a new ceiling (from upstairs /loft). The job will include a couple of new sockets per room and an approx 4 spotlight points in most rooms.

Would be great to know the pros and cons of each. Ideally, I would remove the ceiling myself and have the rewire done before a new ceiling due to timescales as my dry liner/plasterer is coming in later.

Cheers

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, can you please give us some background as your profile hasn't been filled in, a new electrician would get very different advice to that of say a DIYer Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

I’d say “whatever’s easiest at the time”
    Example. 2 houses in my street are both doing the same job- removing walls downstairs, so there are sockets to move, lights to remove and new additions. First house was newly bought, carpets gone, and had a joiner lift the floor, so everything done under floor.
    Other house is lived in, exact same work to do but as they don’t want to lift upstairs floor covering, its being done from below. The ceilings need patched anyway, so the lot is coming down in the affected area of the house.

I don’t mind working above my head... and it’s probably safer than tip toeing over holes in the floor above.

Top tip. Make sure the dry liners pop any cables through the ceiling where you want them. Make a detailed plan of where cables are so you can find them if the don’t.

4. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Rewires always a pain if occupied, whatever, under the floor boards every time for me. Imagine drilling a row of holes in the joist above your head, purgatory, kill your back and shoulder in no time, sure you get bad knees from doing it under the floor, but far far easier than working over your head.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Generally both, sockets etc may come up from the floor but light switches could drop from ceiling

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sctyc16

sctyc16 EF Member

I'm looking for advice before getting someone qualified for the work. I've been told by one electrician that this can only be done through the floor boards, when the ceiling is coming down regardless and will be down weeks before a new one is fitted.

Can you help add this to my profile?
    The following error occurred:

Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

7. 7029 dave

7029 dave Forum Mentor

IMO, take advantage if the ceiling is coming down. I have done loads of occupied rewires in my time, and that luxury has been rare.
    Would never have got any job if I said the ceiling has to come down. lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Six of one and a dozen of the other .....

Without sawing a properly it’s not easy to answer the question ... .

9. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Is your house on a flood plain?
    I watched a program where the house was high risk of floods. They wired everything from the ceiling. Logical really in that circumstance.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Also depends on the floor, too much hassle going through concrete floors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ceiling down all day long.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

If the ceiling is being removed anyway then I’d go for that option.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  13. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

Maybe in your day it was difficult to drill joists but modern tools weigh very little and drill bits are very efficient so there’s none of the problems you describe.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    If you say so Mate,

15. stevethesparks

stevethesparks Electrician's Arms

With the ceilings down you also get the chance to clip along the joists rather than fishing . Also much easier to plot out downlights.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1