Discuss Rear light cluster no power? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. Im scratching my head a bit with this one (even though i am a kind of novice electrically speaking).
I have a Citroen Dispatch van 2007. All has been fine until recently the indicator icon on dashboard started flashing faster than normal (which indicates a bulb gone normally?). I changed the bulb on the rear cluster, but indicator is still flashing fast. I then asked someone to check which lights were working on the whole cluster, and to my suprise the whole lot are not working? (on OSR). Ive looked through handbook and it doesnt look like there is a specific fuse for the feed? I wondered if someone with experience with this stuff may be able to put me in the right direction so i can try to fix myself instead of shelling out unnecessarily.
Thanks in advance.
Shaggy B

Multiple fuses supply the rear cluster. That won't be the problem (the nearside reverse, fog & brake would have also stopped working otherwise.)

The negative connection to the cluster is common to all the bulbs, so that's what you need to check for first.

Do you have a multimeter?

what he said ^^^^^. check the PCB on the cluster. see if the tracks are corroded, or the plug-in connector is not faulty. it will probably be the connection and track that is common to all the bulbs ( lamps for the pedants out there).

Hi,before you start jamming the probes everywhere,is that lighting on CanBus? It will affect the test procedure and the damage which could occur.
The owners forum would be the place to start,for common issues,such as French comedy wiring...

Firstly, look inside the van, near the offside rear cluster, you should find where the negative connection is to the vehicle's body. It should look something like this...

Rear light cluster no power? dsdbsfbsdfbsdfb.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Check it for any visible damage. If you've had anything heavy sliding around in the back, this could be totally torn apart.

If all looks good, then it's time to pull out the multimeter. I take it your lamps are in a holder like this?...

Rear light cluster no power? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

You can see how the bit of metal on the left goes to each lamp. This is the negative connection. You need to put the meter on 'Ohms', poke one probe onto this track, while the other probe is connected to the battery negative terminal. There are other ways of doing this, but I prefer going straight to the battery, you know where you stand then, without second guessing a different negative connection. For this reason I keep a 5 metre long piece of wire with my main multimeter, crocodile clip on one end for the battery, banana plug on the other end to go into the meter.

Tell us the reading and get some photos of the holder, the connector, the loom, etc.

Remove cluster plug in on the working side to confirm it works.
but it's french. one side will have a french plug, the other side will be a german one. probably won't fit without running a Panzer over it.

Hi. rsgaz. Ive been looking for an earth strap, but can find nothing as obvious as the picture you included. I have taken out the bulb holder and it looks like one of the connectors inside is broken? In the meantime i have contacted Citroen to ask for help in locating the earth strap. Apparently they are going to contact me?Rear light cluster no power? Citroen Dispatch bulb holder connection - EletriciansForums.net

didn't the french invent those old style flip up trafficators. right one up, i'm turning right...left one up i'm turning left.... both up....i surrender.

Looks like you've found the problem! Do as @SWD said, plug it in temporarily on the working side and see if it works to confirm.

No doubt Citroen won't be able to supply just the connector and some crimp terminals, you'll have to buy a whole loom for a ridiculous price. You may be better off going to a scrapyard and cutting off the connector with a good 6 inches or so of wire still attached. You then solder it onto yours and heatshrink to protect the join.

Ive heard people mention before that French and Italian wiring is not that great? At the mo im working on the problem being the bulb holder and trying to get some used prices.

could always trade it in for a toyota, not the pro-ace as that's a frog puggot in disguise.

The dodgy fitting is on the bulb holder so hopefully wont have to tamper with loom side. Ive just located a bulb holder for a tenner so probably worth a go. Would still be nice to know where the earth wire is though?

Seems to be a common fault, too. Good old PSA group! :rolleyes:

Pause at 0:15...looks exactly the same as yours!

If you can solder then just attach a new cable to the earth track on the light cluster and attach the other end to the bodywork of the van with a self tapper. Pugs and shitruns are well known for their high quality!! wiring. Just take a look on any peugeot/citreon forum. I had to do the same to both rear light clusters on my 407sw ( currently for sale spares or repair if anyone is interested)

Got to say the help im receiving is fantastic! Im learning quite fast. Ive ordered a used bulb holder now so hopefully that will do the trick? If not you've all given me enough advice to move forward with some confidence. The video is very helpful and shows how to make a very good work around that i would never have known of. It would seem that these types of vehicles should maybe be avoided after they are say 7 years old? I have to say its been a good servant for the last year or so and this is the only problem i have encountered. I will give an update when i have received the bulb holder. If anyone has any other tips they will be greatly received.
Thanks to you all.

Reply to Rear light cluster no power? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock