Discuss Recacalcitrant electronic equipment v. the owner in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

My rant today (as I am feeling somewhat sanguine and snowed in) is to do with various equipment that likes to argue with me. The tv...I watch a film and at the critical part the screen blanks off and asks if I am still watching, and will not continue with the film until I respond and say I am. I turn off my tv, it pops back on and tells me it has no signal and is going to switch off!
My computer...I tell it to shut down. It tells me it can't as there are programs running that wont let it. I tell it to force shutdown. It asks me if I am sure. By this time I am fondling a large hammer considering new ways of shutting the *&^^^** computer down.
My amplifier...I turn it on and if I stop listening to music it decides to turn itself off!
Am I the Captain of my gear or not!!! it would seem not. The equipment seems to come with it's own agenda/behaviours and I find myself having to discuss with it whether it will or will not shut down stay on or other. It did not take me long to think actually I do NOT want to be having any kind of dialogue with my equipment. I just want it to switch the %+"£ off or stay the _(*&)( on!
Ok rant over I feel so much better now (I might not if anyone tells me it's energy saving!)

Vort perhaps you could try some happy pills? They helped me ... I say nice things now to appliances that beep at me.

IMG_1008.JPG

Last edited:
Just as well you don't have an Echo Dot. "Alexa" has a mind of her own. Interrupts conversations, doesn't do what she's told...
My PC decided to restart itself recently, for no reason that I know of.. I got the 'air duster' tin out and gave it a good clean... all seems ok now.

Just as well you don't have an Echo Dot. "Alexa" has a mind of her own. Interrupts conversations, doesn't do what she's told...
My PC decided to restart itself recently, for no reason that I know of.. I got the 'air duster' tin out and gave it a good clean... all seems ok now.
did you clean the valve pins. they cause problems if tarnished.

our Sony TV was the same. "TV will shut down in xx seconds. press any key to cancel". simple matter of reprogramming in the set-up.

I want equipment that the on and off button function as nature intended in the literal sense of the word. Not a manual written in umpteen languages UK being the last language. Wrtten in a chinese grammar structure style. So finally when I have got the magnifying glass out... No not good enough turn off means turn off, turn on means turn on simples!

I want equipment that the on and off button function as nature intended in the literal sense of the word. Not a manual written in umpteen languages UK being the last language. Wrtten in a chinese grammar structure style. So finally when I have got the magnifying glass out... No not good enough turn off means turn off, turn on means turn on simples!
like me i think you are miffed at not having to wait 5 minutes for the valves to warm up. and to see the silver dot centre screen when you switch off.

There was an interesting X Files recently where our lives were run by technology. How far in the future will that be I wonder.

Reply to Recacalcitrant electronic equipment v. the owner in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net