Discuss Recomended books in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A question to mostly domestic sparkys please.

Other than the regs book, what is the other books you find most useful or refer to for everyday stuff, that you are likely too encounter.

Am thinking of the following:
* On-Site Guide BS 7671:2008 Wiring Regulations, incorporating Amendment 3:2015

* Guidance Note 3: Inspection & Testing (7th Edition)

* Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations (4th Edition)

Defiantly need regs and building regs for upcoming 2382/2393 exam,

But just wondered if there is any other books out there that are really good/recommended?

Have loads of books from 2005 -2007 era mainly niciec books, on inspection and testing - but now totally different forms etc. used so basically useless.

Will order them tomorrow so any feedback by then appreciated.

You could probably do with a dictionary and some kind of grammar text book. :p

The first three are essential.

The ESC best practice guides are also worth downloading.

After that it comes down to your own needs.

There is something called the learning lounge which isn't expensive and worth a look if you are learning and or refreshing.

The general advice above is spot-on,but there are two other journals,that will assist you,especially if it is the domestic sector,you will inhabit...

The first,will help you understand your customer base....the second,your fellow sparks....

...So go and get yourself copies of "Animal Farm" and "Lord of the Flies".....Invaluable! :icon12:

‘You could probably do with a dictionary and some kind of grammar text book.’ (textbook):ciappa:

Albeit predictable, a star to Ferg for the eagerness to spot mistakes,

However the following by Peg:

‘The general advice above is spot-on, but there are two other journals, that will assist you, especially if it is the domestic sector, you will inhabit...
The first, will help you understand your customer base....the second, your fellow sparks....
...So go and get yourself copies of "Animal Farm" and "Lord of the Flies".....Invaluable!’

Defiantly deserves a gold star that is very good, and very true.:crowngrin:

But seriously, thanks for all the recommendations.

Decided to order regs book, Building regs, and Gn3 for now.

Have e-mailed the Part p doctor , as I think he is about to release a new book based on amendment 3, but a few people have recommended that book to me.

Have bought a Christopher Kitchers Practical guide to inspection and testing.

(Have a few aj watkins books on theory already - my tutor recommended them many years ago)

When I can afford it would like a few GN books like the no 1 ,2 ,5 as really like the format of them.

Just downloaded the ESC guides didn't know about them, free things are always good.

Will have a butchers at the learning lounge as I had never heard of it before.

But thanks again - so many books but same names seem to pop up over the years!

Last edited:

Reply to Recomended books in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net