Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Recommendations please for a good quality immersion heater timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Hello all. As the title says, I am looking for a good quality, robust switch/timer to control a 3kw immersion heater. At present it is simply plugged into a socket in the loft, but needs to be controlled from the kitchen below with a decent timer, preferably one that will fit onto a single surface mount patress box.
    Not fussed about too many advanced programming options, wifi control etc, just a reasonably robust and simple controller that old f*rts can work!
    Thank you!

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Is the socket that the heater is plugged into part of a ring or radial circuit?

3. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Pete, it is part of a ring. The ring was specifically installed to run 2 under-sink water heaters, and currently does supply one, but the Boss changed his mind about the other one and now there is an immersion heater in place , plugged into a socket on that ring.

4. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

Timeguard fused connection unit/ 7 day time switch.
    Fit it local to the socket, as you wish.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Pretty bad idea having a 3kw immersion on a 13A plug.

6. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

True….warm and on the edge...but options without a separate supply?
    Mind you, if the rfc has only 2 points, why not split it for two 20amp radials?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Timeguard.

8. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Thanks guys. I hear what you are saying. Timeguard looks like a good one indeed.
    Westward, there was a socket there for an undersink unit, they come supplied with a plug, but when I went on holiday, on my return there was the immersion thingy, plugged into it...I asked the question, but apparently it was second-hand and had arrived with a plug on it, so the plumber just, wel...plugged it in!
    ipf, you are correct, the plug is a tiny bit warm...it also looks tired...I will check it out tomorrow. No problem splitting to two 20A radials either, as the whole circuit is clipped in free air, above attic floor level.
    Probably go that route and wire the immerser into a Timeguard unit.

9. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Hang on did I read that right?

Pirate Twinkle Toes Pete......

;o))))

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Should you not be getting an electrician in to do this?

11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    it's only 3 wires, a parrot , and a keg of rum. what could possibly go wrong.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Hi anthonybragg
    I won't recap the whole scenario, basically it's a charity refurb of an old building. I am just a cable-jockey. I install the cables for what the electrician tells me, and he comes along and connects it to the DB and tests it. The DB is all RCBOs, and I don't touch it. I put the cables insitu, he then installs the RCBOs and tests.
    I think I am quite competent to split the ring already installed into two radials, fit the timer, buy the required components and install them, but I don't go near the inside of the DB, because while I would like to think I could do the installation there, I don't have the knowledge to test, which is the important bit...
    The RFC was installed fine, and tested fine too, but the rogue installation of the immersion heater in my absence led to my query on here. A change in spec means a change in thinking/design. I have a fair grasp of simple circuits, and I have a solid grasp of proving dead, but the real electrician is the man I listen to, and the man who will sign it off, so I will simply install what I am told is ok, and leave it to the real guy to connect and test. So far I have put in 8 circuits in this building, all of which have tested fine.
    Get an electrician in? Yes! I am happy with that! I recognised a problem with that plugged in immerser, and I am very grateful for all the input I have received. Thank you all for your kind advice which makes my life easier, points me in the right direction, and hopefully means that when the true spark arrives he will find everything in order.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Not an ideal situation is it pirate?

14. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Worry not, Pete..the Boss will be walking the plank very soon!
    and the final, full installation, will be bullet-proof!

15. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    good for you when you say boss, is that her in doors or your boss?