Discuss red rocker switch wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just joined and looking for some help please. I have a blowing fan with a standard uk plug. I have it in a sort of box that is used for blowing air around some stuff so I wanted to connect a red rocker switch spst 16amp to the box so as I can switch the blower off and on without opening the box. At tyhe minute I just pull the plug out. So, if i cut the lead after the plug and before it enters the blower to fit the switch how do i do that? The switch is 16amp and has 3 pins one which is brass. Is it as straight forward as live to brass and earth and neutral to other 2? Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Hi Guys,

Just joined and looking for some help please. I have a blowing fan with a standard uk plug. I have it in a sort of box that is used for blowing air around some stuff so I wanted to connect a red rocker switch spst 16amp to the box so as I can switch the blower off and on without opening the box. At tyhe minute I just pull the plug out. So, if i cut the lead after the plug and before it enters the blower to fit the switch how do i do that? The switch is 16amp and has 3 pins one which is brass. Is it as straight forward as live to brass and earth and neutral to other 2? Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Can you post a picture of what you intend to and what equipment you are using?

usually with these switches, you'd fit to the box and connect inside. normally, the brass terminal is Neutral, centre is Live load, other one is L in. the N is there to operate the neon. and as pete said, a pic showing the internals of the box will hepl.

Hi Guys,

Just joined and looking for some help please. I have a blowing fan with a standard uk plug. I have it in a sort of box that is used for blowing air around some stuff so I wanted to connect a red rocker switch spst 16amp to the box so as I can switch the blower off and on without opening the box. At tyhe minute I just pull the plug out.
Doesn't the fan already have an on/off switch built into it?

So, if i cut the lead after the plug and before it enters the blower to fit the switch how do i do that?
You don't. That switch is completely unsuitable for installing mid-way along a trailing cable.

The switch is 16amp and has 3 pins one which is brass. Is it as straight forward as live to brass and earth and neutral to other 2? Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
There's many configurations of that type of switch which will be differently wired depending which one it is. Firstly do not connect any earth wires to it. Secondly don't connect any neutrals to it until you're sure which terminal they belong on.

Thirdly we don't allow step by step guides on this forum for unqualified people attempting their own electrical work so this thread is already in danger of being closed. If you have a specific question please ask it but if this continues along the path it's been going I'll have to close it.

Doesn't the fan already have an on/off switch built into it?

You don't. That switch is completely unsuitable for installing mid-way along a trailing cable.

There's many configurations of that type of switch which will be differently wired depending which one it is. Firstly do not connect any earth wires to it. Secondly don't connect any neutrals to it until you're sure which terminal they belong on.

Thirdly we don't allow step by step guides on this forum for unqualified people attempting their own electrical work so this thread is already in danger of being closed. If you have a specific question please ask it but if this continues along the path it's been going I'll have to close it.

Hi guys, the fan does have a switch but I have to remove the door to get at it hence I just pull the plug. It's not that urgent to do this and I don't want to upset anyone so thanks for the really quick answers from you guys, much appreciated. The thread can now be closed.

Reply to red rocker switch wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net