Discuss Red Spot/GEC Fuseboard, asbestos door seal/gaskets? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Ben Harris

Hi,

I'm Ben and I work in various quarries around the Peak District where most of the gear is 70/80s. Asbestos reports on quarries are terrible and when you query things you just get told to not touch the gear.
I have been doing testing and inspection of various small power items in the quarries and noticed the Red Spot fuseboard doors have a weird rope texture as a seal. I haven't done any asbestos training so I thought a good place to start would be the wealth of knowledge here!
After extensive research the only thing I've found is that the old Red Spot fuse holders had an asbestos backing but nowhere can I find any info on the door seals.
Please see my images and I hope someone has some knowledge! These boards are from circa 1979, for reference.

IMG_8356.JPG

IMG_8357.JPG

IMG_8358.JPG

They didn't normally use asbestos as the door gasket in Red spot fuse boards. I've worked in countless quarries up in the peak district an all used to have pretty good asbestos registers.

The only asbestos I remember was inside the fuse carriers themselves.

It can be misleading with the fact that the fine grey dust that gets everywhere makes it look different. It's most likely just rope.

Better being safe than sorry, don't be pulling it to bits. An get some sent off to be tested if you're worried.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the swift response! The register at the specific one is vague and you get the sense of 'we can't afford to be getting an extensive report done' kinda attitude which is why I'm being cautious and asking here!

It does just look like rope and this is quite reassuring, we are aware of the carriers which is a good start! Thanks

Red spot do still sell replacement carriers that take cartridge fuse's, that way you can clear the old carriers with the asbestos flash pad out.

Not sure about the BILL boards, they were also quite prevalent in being installed for one company that has a lot of quarries under it's control.

the asbestos in those fuse boards is only dangerous if disturbed. a bit like me when i've had ale.

Thabks Rob, we hav a stock of them!
Well opening and closing the doors would be disturbing the rope/asbestos if is!

The silica in the quarry dust you're likely breathing in has a much higher probability of causing something nasty further down the line.

Like I say I'm doubtful it is asbestos, but opening and closing the doors, unless you're prying at them or hammering them to get them open. (Yes I've seen them in these kind of conditions). You shouldn't disturb them enough to release fibers into the air.

Reply to Red Spot/GEC Fuseboard, asbestos door seal/gaskets? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock