Discuss Reducing power bill by balabcing 3 phase power in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Clintonb

I have a 3 phase power supply from my power supplier and i was told that my electric bill was much higher than it should be because one phase draws plenty of power while my other phases do not and the cost is calculated on the highest demand and the cost is determined by the meter with the highest reading and just multiplied by 3 or something similar. I've been thinking about a strategy to balance out the phases and i was wandering if there is any software available that might make this job easier. The other concern is that being a poultry farm means we use thermostats to control temperature and the power on a certain phase isn't always contant, is this going to be a major issue when trying to balance? :confused:

not aware of any software but im sure its available. however providing you even out between phases as best you can you should see a difference

As ezzzekeil said what you need to do is look at what your loading is and balance it out over the three phases.

eg if you have 9 heaters you should put 3 on each phase which will help to balance it out but if they are not on at the same time there is not much you can do,

The only way to measure this with any meaning is to do a load profile monitoring over at least a 7-day period.

This should give you more than enough information to bring balancing closer.

We charge around £300.00 for a 7-day profile and comprehensive report so you'll have to weigh up costs against savings.

Reply to Reducing power bill by balabcing 3 phase power in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net