Discuss Registration fees with Stroma!!!!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I agree but some of us qualified before NVQ's and in my case with the EITB in 1986 and although I have kept up with the 16th and 17th amnd 1 and have the certs NICEIC and NAPIT insist I have 2391 or 2394/5 even the JIB wont recognise the EITB now so there needs to be something in place for us old boys
the only reason Napit want all their members to have the 2391....
is because they offer their own little version of it....exclusively for their members mind you....
and i say exclusively caus it aint worth a jot outside Napit...

but bawall has a good point that just asking for qualifications will not work. Plenty of very good sparks have learn't on the job and don't have formal qualifications. There should always be two routes to QS. 1) Proof by qualifications and formal training. 2) Proof by quality of work and knowledge.

The trouble is with option 1 is that the entry criteria is too easy. 17th edition...... The trouble with option 2 is that there is no proper way to assess it. The current assessment process doesn't even get close to the quality level really required.

So I agree that current system doesn't cut it but I don't agree that the way forward is just increasing the qualifications required. After all training and qualifications does not equal ability and quality or work.

Mind you, if they upped the pass mark on 2382 to 90% then I reckon it would go a good way to weeding out the chancers, it is an open book exam after all!

Actually I think this all a bit of a red herring. The biggest problem with the domestic electrical industry is not the quality of registered QS's in general. Sure there are dodgy ones but they are a very small minority. It is the complete lack of understanding of part P by the public and lack of proper policing by the schemes and other bodies. Sort that out and we would see an immediate knock on affect on quality.

but bawall has a good point that just asking for qualifications will not work. Plenty of very good sparks have learn't on the job and don't have formal qualifications. There should always be two routes to QS. 1) Proof by qualifications and formal training. 2) Proof by quality of work and knowledge.

The trouble is with option 1 is that the entry criteria is too easy. 17th edition...... The trouble with option 2 is that there is no proper way to assess it. The current assessment process doesn't even get close to the quality level really required.

So I agree that current system doesn't cut it but I don't agree that the way forward is just increasing the qualifications required. After all training and qualifications does not equal ability and quality or work.

Mind you, if they upped the pass mark on 2382 to 90% then I reckon it would go a good way to weeding out the chancers, it is an open book exam after all!

Actually I think this all a bit of a red herring. The biggest problem with the domestic electrical industry is not the quality of registered QS's in general. Sure there are dodgy ones but they are a very small minority. It is the complete lack of understanding of part P by the public and lack of proper policing by the schemes and other bodies. Sort that out and we would see an immediate knock on affect on quality.
eh?..
sinse when has just having the 17th edition been enough?...
not in my world it aint...

alls i am saying is there needs to be a reality check....

no...this qual alone should never..never be acceptable as entry into our industry

and where have you been for the last few years then?

eh?..
sinse when has just having the 17th edition been enough?...
not in my world it aint...

alls i am saying is there needs to be a reality check....

what I meant is that you can (or could) become a domestic QS with just 2382 and some proof of experience. My point being that would be ok IF the proof of experience and ability was a bit more than a couple of hours chat with an assessor and the review of some carefully selected work. We have to seperate training and courses from ability to do the work because one doesn't mean the other.
The trouble is that assessment of ability isn't there so the current system fails. Adding more qualifications will not necessarily fix it though. One governing body with the desire to properly police the industry might though. If we really had that I would be happy to pay my £450 a year.......... ;)

Reality check? I am with you all the way on that one!

In reality, there's no way that the assessment needs to be every single year once you have been deemed "adequate" to join the part P scheme. We keep getting told that gas is more dangerous, yet the gas safe boys get an initial probationary period when they are scrutinised closely, followed by a check every 5 years or so.
I agree, we need to get the electrical industry to adopt the same setup as gas safe, make the checks far more stringent (we keep hearing on this forum how people even use others' jobs for their assessment), then police it properly (not just the joke which is "oh, your install wasn't carried out by an electrician, so just get us an EICR done").

After sorting out the issue of the fees and receiving a personal phone call (including an apology) from the boss I decided to stick with them.

The assessor has just left, I have 2 things I need to do: 'dual coloured wires label' for CU and seperate label for a FCU feeding the outbuildings. I'm not sure what is involved with other scemes when they come to assess you.. everyone seems to make it sound fairly easy. This assessor is extremely thorough, he goes through all of my paperwork with a fine tooth comb, and on top of that and the site visit spent about 2 hours asking me questions about BS7671, guidance notes, best practise guides, pathopysiology of electric shock, health and safety, risk assessments, EAWR and more....

Still, he praised my work and said it was better than most after only one year of trading :smug2: so I am happy and expect further pats on the back from you guys.........................:grin:

Last edited:
after sorting out the issue of the fees and receiving a personal phone call (including an apology) from the boss i decided to stick with them.

The assessor has just left, i have 2 things i need to do: 'dual coloured wires label' for cu and seperate label for a fcu feeding the outbuildings. I'm not sure what is involved with other scemes when they come to assess you.. Everyone seems to make it sound fairly easy. This assessor is extremely thorough, he goes through all off my paperwork with a fine tooth comb, and on top of that and the site visit spent about 2 hours asking me questions about bs7671, guidance notes, best practise guides, pathopysiology of electric shock, health and safety, risk assessments, eawr and more....

Still, he praised my work and said it was better than most after only one year of trading :smug2: So i am happy and expect further pats on the back from you guys.........................:grin:

wtf!!!!

Basically it was a CU change. At some point someone had wired up an attached outbuilding with 1.5mm fed directly by a 32A MCB!! I changed this to a 16A MCB and popped in a small length of 2.5mm from the 16A MCB to a 13A FCU (pretty much next to the CU) so at least it followed the regs.

It was this FCU that wasn't labelled.

I think I actually quite like the fact he's a bit of a stickler. Most of the threads mention how easy the assessment is and how standards are deteriorating, perhaps if all the assessors were a bit harsher it would bump up standards. Not really sure, just a thought.

After sorting out the issue of the fees and receiving a personal phone call (including an apology) from the boss I decided to stick with them.

The assessor has just left, I have 2 things I need to do: 'dual coloured wires label' for CU and seperate label for a FCU feeding the outbuildings. I'm not sure what is involved with other scemes when they come to assess you.. everyone seems to make it sound fairly easy. This assessor is extremely thorough, he goes through all of my paperwork with a fine tooth comb, and on top of that and the site visit spent about 2 hours asking me questions about BS7671, guidance notes, best practise guides, pathopysiology of electric shock, health and safety, risk assessments, EAWR and more....

Still, he praised my work and said it was better than most after only one year of trading :smug2: so I am happy and expect further pats on the back from you guys.........................:grin:

first i`v heard of that one...

Reply to Registration fees with Stroma!!!!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net