Discuss Regs or Guidance for Festival Lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Piratepete

My village has a small 2 day music festival and wants temporary lighting in the beer and catering tents. It'll be supplied by a generator.
I couldn't see a section in the regs particularly relating to this???

Is there some useful guidance anywhere?
Eg Is it ok to use standard 3core flex to fluorescent fittings if it's not at ground level? Do the fittings have to be fully enclosed if they can be reached?
Cheers!
Pete

PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy, no point buying a copy as most of it says refer to BS7671.

As mentioned BS 7909 is what you need, this will most likely be specified in your temporary event licence and these days is often checked by the local authority.

Standard flex is not normally acceptable, it should be H07 RNF or equivalent.

How many generators, what size and how will they be working together? If it's only one generator then what provision have you made for providing light of the generator fails?

Under 6kVA you will fall in to the simple installations categorically and could use a floating earth if you think it is appropriate.

We normally use festoon lighting in these kind of tents/marquees (and for most of the outdoor public areas) and whenever possible run multiple generators in parallel to provide a live backup should one fail.

If its only basic lighting your looking at I would say 110 volt would be the easiest and quickest option to set up. You could also look at emergency units in case of mains fail etc.

do you have 110v power systems in the UK ?
I thought it was 230v ?
:confused:
we don't have 110V as supplied, but for site work, tools are restricted to being fed from a 240/110V transformer, secondary is centre tapped,with the centre tap being connected to Earth. so only 55V each leg to E.

Regs or Guidance for Festival Lighting upload_2017-6-21_9-15-46 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Regs or Guidance for Festival Lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock