Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then follow this link https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/ The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Regulation 543-2.4 and Type B Merlin Boards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. KiltedSparky

KiltedSparky Guest

Hi All,

Only my second post so please be easy on me lol

looking for a bit of clarification/help here, i have just checked a number of Merlin Gerin DBs which have the Main earth bolt installed direct to the metal enclosure and in some cases four earth bars in different places fixed to the same Metal enclosure via pot rivets and without any flying leads linking them to main earth is this a substantial means of earthing or can the pot rivets not be guaranteed by anyone/installer to withstand mechanical,chemical or electromechanical deterioration .

Thanks in advance for any help

2. IQ Electrical

IQ Electrical Electrician's Arms

A quick earth loop impedance test from line to each earth terminal block will give you an idea of the integrity.

It is good practice to link the earth terminal blocks.

3. mogga

mogga Just me Electrician's Arms

IMO a flying lead from earth bar to Main earth even if its one fly lead (16mm) from bolt to bar to bar Unless the earth bar is Insulated from the body in which case it may be a clean earth

4. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Electrician's Arms

It's not unusual for Merin Gerin to have a large earth bolt with U type washers as their main Terminal espicially on TPN+E boards. What they normally do though is have a long earth bar coming off the bolt as a fixed attachment, I'm wondering if someone as removed the long single bar and fitted these 4 smaller to make indentifying which earth is associated to which circuit and Phase.

I know that some earthing points are riveted in, but normally you find that on the internal side of the rivet there is what I would could a nip washer which is fitted over the rivet before that are gunned. I personally don't like this, but as long as you can confirm continuity then really there is no problem.

5. KiltedSparky

KiltedSparky Guest

Thanks IQ , it is a new install and the company have claimed the Pot Rivets are all that is required but i am in disagreement but also struggle to find a good argument apart from good practice

6. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Electrician's Arms

I see that someone opened the doors again.

7. KiltedSparky

KiltedSparky Guest

Thanks Malcolmsanford, all these DBs appear to be designed the same way and all the earth bars have a connection big enough for a 16mm flying lead but agree good practice does not always mean that it has to be installed that way so will have to accept that if continuety is good then so be it .

Not sure how to reply too Mnerobi 15 though lol

Thanks again

8. KiltedSparky

KiltedSparky Guest

cheers Mogga , i agree totally but dont have regulations to back it up