Discuss Regulation for using a cable reel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been working at a cinema refurbishment but our firm are not doing the data cables or the speakers. It got to the end of the day and the people who are doing that side of things were pulling what looked like t+e through the studwork on the back wall of one of the screens. The roll was not on a reel, was just lying flat on the floor and as you can imagine there was a twist every foot of the run (which goes along the back wall then down the left and right walls to the speakers). Even though it is just speaker wire could it still create a build up of heat from the eddy currents? I thought I saw in the OSG a regulation about using a cable reel to avoid twists when pulling cables but have looked through it and found nothing. Looked through a few parts of the regs book too and couldn't find anything there either. I expect the builders will start to board over it tomorrow so thought I'd post a query up on here as I know this can be a very informative forum. Cheers guys

Been working at a cinema refurbishment but our firm are not doing the data cables or the speakers. It got to the end of the day and the people who are doing that side of things were pulling what looked like t+e through the studwork on the back wall of one of the screens. The roll was not on a reel, was just lying flat on the floor and as you can imagine there was a twist every foot of the run (which goes along the back wall then down the left and right walls to the speakers). Even though it is just speaker wire could it still create a build up of heat from the eddy currents? I thought I saw in the OSG a regulation about using a cable reel to avoid twists when pulling cables but have looked through it and found nothing. Looked through a few parts of the regs book too and couldn't find anything there either. I expect the builders will start to board over it tomorrow so thought I'd post a query up on here as I know this can be a very informative forum. Cheers guys
Still a mystery to me how many younger Electrician and Installers can't run a length of twin and cpc without a cable roller without getting any twists, still I suppose that's the penalty you have to pay when training and only using a couple of feet of cable.

A cable real is cheap, and there's no excuse not to use one
I agree Murdoch, I believe the old ways should be talked about when you do your training, as you must know some times cable reels can be a pain, with cable coming off when pulling cable runs in from a distance.

A lot of professional speaker cable is twisted pair so the cables are twisted together for the full length of the run. More worrying is running T&E for speakers. I was involved on a reverb in a church that had T&E for speaker wire, and once the power was shut off identifying what was power and what was speaker was a nightmare.

It wasn't the OSG or bs7671 where I saw something written about it, it was the BASIC electrical installation work book I got in college hahaa.
Apparently it was speaker wire they were using, just looked like flat t+e. But funnily enough, when we were ripping out the old cable, the old speaker wire WAS t+e. Not as bad as wiring lighting circuits with speaker wire I suppose, like I seen on a rewire one time.
It's not just the young ones either, always pulling cables out of joists then putting them back without twists after an older guy (50s) has been on a job yanking them through, clips all over the place, bit blind he is. One time when looking for a bit of 3-core in a stud wall he saw the edge of some plasterboard and swore that was it.

20171005_191125.jpg

There won't be a problem with eddy currents, twists just make the cable snag as it's pulled which can cause it to become damaged. CAT5 (screened preferrably) makes far superior speaker wire than flat twin electrical cable. Much better frequency response and a hell of a lot cheaper as well

I can't imagine there would be any regulations on pulling a cable off the drum, same as you won't find a regulation on which end of a hammer to hold.....surely common sense would have a factor in it? From the sounds of the guys the OP spoke of, they don't have a clue on installation!

I can't imagine there would be any regulations on pulling a cable off the drum, same as you won't find a regulation on which end of a hammer to hold.....surely common sense would have a factor in it? From the sounds of the guys the OP spoke of, they don't have a clue on installation!
But I would rather be a hammer than a nail.

I agree Murdoch, I believe the old ways should be talked about when you do your training, as you must know some times cable reels can be a pain, with cable coming off when pulling cable runs in from a distance.
It is not the old ways Pete, it's installing the cable in a professional manor flat as it comes off the drum.

CAT5 (screened preferrably) makes far superior speaker wire than flat twin electrical cable.

Don't think I'd use it for high power work. Many of the speaker circuits I install need 2.5mm² minimum, 4.0 for longer runs to maintain damping factor, response and minimise loss. The effect on frequency response is very modest and depends mainly on how the speaker load impedance varies with frequency, e.g. nominal 8 ohm speaker might vary from 5 to 30 ohms over its useful range. Where the speaker impedance dips there will be more attenuation as the cable contributes a greater fraction of the impedance, and less where the speaker impedance peaks. Keeping the resistance down minimises this effect, and speakers are usually designed to be driven by a negligible source impedance, so more copper is usually better. High power 8 or 16 ohm speaker circuits can also exceed 50V.

How did we do it so neatly all those years ago,with no reel cable toys,it’s a doddle le,personally it’s great to have 2 or 3 drums on the go,but hey,it’s fine without the cable reeler,never had any trouble,but I have seen others get in a right state
Regulation your having a laugh ha ha ha

Bit of conduit a pair of steps and 10 rolls of single 2.5mm
Still a mystery to me how many younger Electrician and Installers can't run a length of twin and cpc without a cable roller without getting any twists, still I suppose that's the penalty you have to pay when training and only using a couple of feet of cable.

Leave the roll flat on the floor and pull the cable hard so the roll spins around and the cable un-furls, the worst is when it gets wet and the card board rings fall off as then that is where all the wrist action learnt as a 16 year old comes in handy un-rolling the cable reel.

Bit of conduit a pair of steps and 10 rolls of single 2.5mm

Leave the roll flat on the floor and pull the cable hard so the roll spins around and the cable un-furls, the worst is when it gets wet and the card board rings fall off as then that is where all the wrist action learnt as a 16 year old comes in handy un-rolling the cable reel.
I was taught to : lay the drum on it's side take the cable off the drum using both hands, take as much as you think is required, and then run it out on the floor, very difficult to explain, with out pictures, don't ask me to draw it out either.

I was taught to : lay the drum on it's side take the cable off the drum using both hands, take as much as you think is required, and then run it out on the floor, very difficult to explain, with out pictures, don't ask me to draw it out either.
Or hold cable in hand and kick drum away was another way.

I get what you mean though, remember there is always a quicker and a better way of doing something and I was good at that, maybe its my OCD lol

A question, when using stands for reels do you roll the cable from the top or the bottom of the reel?

I know what I would do.............

Reply to Regulation for using a cable reel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net