Discuss Regulation Of Electricians As A Profession Debate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I found this very informative in a number of ways...
The chamber was virtually empty, more people in the public gallery than in the house.
Very few people on here have viewed and commented.
Ms Lennon's sleeves were amazing!
The true debate is yet to come.
Are electricians professionals?
What is a professional?
It used to donate doctors, lawyers, accountants,dentists, actuaries, or basically people who held a university degree for their chosen "profession", and who had undertaken some years of study, examined at every stage, before being awarded with their degree...
I will tell you, as an old fashioned "professional" with a degree, that the reality is as bad as you all suspect...
many people who say they are professional are not...ok, they may have degrees, but anyone with 2 brain cells can get one, and the real problem arises when you consult such a professional and get poor service because they are basically sh*t at their job.
However, in the electrical profession, you will always find people who are time-served, know exactly what will work well and what is carp, and I'd rather have them do my stuff because I know they will do a good job...even without some dodgy qualification.
Nevertheless, regulating the profession of electrician is important, not because of making it more difficult to enter, but if in the event of you making a mistake then there is a sanction...restriction of type of work until you demonstrate competence, suspension of your licence if you make a bigger mistake, banning completely if you persistently flout the rules...and these days, a simple creditcard sized bit of plastic can show customers which level you are in. If the customer has a problem, the authorising body steps in. If this worries you, don't be an electrician...if it doesn't, then you are either a good electrician, or a rogue trader who doesn't give a ----...if the latter, one conviction will see you banned for life.
I worked all my life in a profession which instilled fear...but latterly took a much more relaxed approach...I left it, and am so glad I did.
During the "fear years" we all toed the line, more recently the powers that be went the sloppy route, let almost everyone off regardless of their transgressions, and the biggest crime you could commit was to criticise them!
Thanks for bringing this debate to our attention, JK.

Have a look at this:

Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/anaw/2016/2/part/4/crossheading/protection-of-title-social-worker-etc

Substitute Scotland and Scottish for Wales and Welsh. Substitute Electrician for Social Worker. There is no excuse for the Scottish Government to not grant protection of title to Scottish Electricians. None whatsoever. Get your fingers out of your butts, you useless lot and act.

Oh, don't forget we have free university education and free bus travel for over 60s!
Do not tar us all with the same brush though...we do NOT all moan about the English, so get yer facts right, or get tae france!

An Englishman, Scotsman and Northern Irishman walk into the bar. The Englishman wants to leave so they all have to.

What about the Australian Barman?
The ÂŁ tanked its not with his while being in the UK, the barman he'll be Eastern European and will be more educated and have a better grasp of the language then the dregs of the customers he will be serving.

Oh and I should report you to a mod for the sexist comment you made, its bar person...........

Reply to Regulation Of Electricians As A Profession Debate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock