Discuss Regulations/requirements regarding communal lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

danb86

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought a new build flat in a 8 storey building. The communal lights from floors 1-7 are permanently on as well as two staircases. The ground floor is the only floor with PIR's installed.

It's such a poor design and I can't see how this can be allowed in this day and age. In no way is it efficient. The downlights used have an average life of 25,000 hours so will need replacing in 3 years. The flat owners pay the communal electricity bill so I doubt the developer/landlord cares about it too much.

I've contacted my local council who told me the building was signed off by a private firm of building control inspectors. Before I contact them or the developer I want to get some more knowledge about any regs.

So my question is, have the developers not met any regulations or requirements regarding the communal lighting for energy efficiency or something similar?

Every new build I've worked in we've always installed PIR's in communal areas. It's such a bad design.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Not at all, no. I can't see the sense of wasting electricity and also reducing the life expectancy of the luminaires.

Thought you meant a waste of energy for the OP trying to fix it.

Out of interest why do you suggest it might be a waste of time? I'm half expecting myself for it to be a waste of time. The developer's have had the building signed off, they've sold the flats, we're paying the communal electricity bill, £££££££ in their pocket. Who cares about their lights? Onto the next job with poorly designed communal lighting... :smirk:

Figured I might as well at least try!

Because I doubt very much you’ll get anywhere.
Sounds like it’s been wired incorrectly, or the contractor just couldn’t be asked to fit PIRs on the other floors.

Presumably you have the flat on a dread lease? Is there a management company? If so why not take it up with them. Do you have natural daylight on each floor i.e. a window if not maybe that is why they are on? As to regs well there is the idea a switch is required for isolation of the item and there is a requirement of EE in the regs none of which are enforceable legally as they are not statute. There may be a fault and it needs checking perhaps. Again raise with the MC.

Poor design and/or install. Should be designed to provide longevity for the building and energy efficiency. Approved Document L maybe of use?. As you've stated it's a new build it's likely under a new build warranty and maybe worth contacting NHBC or the likes of. Also be worth discussing with the director of the RTM (if in place) who will represent the leaseholders, management company and the building landlord.

I disagree. If it is wrong then it should be mentioned.
Mention it as much as you want, but who’s going to do anything about it?
Only way to get the builders to do anything, will be to take them to court.
Council won’t do anything.
The private company that signed it off can’t do anything, they’ve already signed it off.
The electricians who installed it won’t do anything as they’ve already been paid and their customer’s already accepted the work.

Mention it as much as you want, but who’s going to do anything about it?
Only way to get the builders to do anything, will be to take them to court.
Council won’t do anything.
The private company that signed it off can’t do anything, they’ve already signed it off.
The electricians who installed it won’t do anything as they’ve already been paid and their customer’s already accepted the work.

You're very vocal on this one Spin - wasn't you who wired them up was it? :):)

Presumably you have the flat on a dread lease? Is there a management company? If so why not take it up with them. Do you have natural daylight on each floor i.e. a window if not maybe that is why they are on? As to regs well there is the idea a switch is required for isolation of the item and there is a requirement of EE in the regs none of which are enforceable legally as they are not statute. There may be a fault and it needs checking perhaps. Again raise with the MC.

There are windows all up the staircases and windows at either end of the corridors on each floor. As for a switch, there is a key switch to test the emergency lights, so I guess that ticks that box. Don't think the management company have really taken the building on yet, I heard one of the site managers moaning about it in the lift the other day. Pretty sure I'm paying them though.

Poor design and/or install. Should be designed to provide longevity for the building and energy efficiency. Approved Document L maybe of use?. As you've stated it's a new build it's likely under a new build warranty and maybe worth contacting NHBC or the likes of. Also be worth discussing with the director of the RTM (if in place) who will represent the leaseholders, management company and the building landlord.

I've had a (very) quick flick through Doc L but couldn't find anything specifically relating to this that I could make sense of at least. May need a more thorough look. The warranty is with ICW, it's another path I'll probably go down at some point. What do you mean by RTM?

I think the lights are the least of your worries if the building has 8 floors then the lift is the major worry.

The lift works fine. And my sofa fits in there too :thumbsup:

RTM right to manage company formed by the lessees. Also known as enfranchisement. Why not contact the firm who did the electrics and raise a query about the lights. Rather than go in with the big guns blazing straight away?

As above re contacting the Electrical installer.
I'd go to them with a subtle approach;

Express your concerns about the future running costs.
Ask whether it would be reasonably simple to put PIR control on each stairway and each landing and what their costs would be to do it, as you're considering contacting all the flat owners to see if they would be interested in paying for the alterations.

(subtle bit), ask whether it was ever considered at the design stage and if so was it rejected for compliance reasons (is so what) or cost.

Reply to Regulations/requirements regarding communal lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net