Discuss Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi all,
I have just bought a house with the intention of selling on.
So I am wondering-
if I add more sockets to the system rather then replacing all the wiring
If I make sure the light in bathroom is outside the required zones
Put a combi boiler in so that there is no need for electric shower or immersion heater
And put a gas hob in
Do I need the work to be notified to building control?
I have attached picture of fuseboard- ignore the tape as it is only for selling purposes- house sold as seen!
I am a plumber and can do electrics but as I am selling it I want to know regulations and get it right!
If it does need to be certified- do any electricians just test it or is it a case of wanting to do all the work yourself to certify it?
Part p states that an electrician can sign it off but what do electricians think of this regulation and the risks involved!
I know I would never sign someone else's gas work off but I would with plumbing work!
Finally any electricians in the County Durham area that would like to quote for work please pm me!

View attachment 35937
Nice clips on those tails

so you have to complete 5 different qualifications to become an electrician- spend thousands on test equipment and then £600 odd on CPS and they change the regulations to let any tom, dick and harry do there own electrics- Glad I am not an electrician. Are they looking to change this? surely the biggest cause of fires is people putting cheap spotlights in loft right next to beams, paper and insulation? Yet the regulations are so confusing that anybody thinks they can do it.
At least with Gas Safe they have a hard and fast rule- nobody touch any Gas appliance or pipework
Its kind of like if they said anybody could play with a boiler but can not touch the gas components!!

Actually, with Corgi/Gas Safe, anyone can do gas work without being registered, as long as they don't get paid for doing the work.

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of—

(a)the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b)the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

"The following are examples of what may constitute ‘bringing the Gas Safe Register into disrepute’. This is not an exhaustive list but should be considered as indicative:

Using unregistered engineers to carry out gas work or signing off others’ gas work as your own"

The gas safe is 1 cps scheme that everyone recognizes and knows- not 6-8 different schemes with different requirements

Last edited by a moderator:
The following are examples of what may constitute ‘bringing the Gas Safe Register into disrepute’. This is not an exhaustive list but should be considered as indicative:

Using unregistered engineers to carry out gas work or signing off others’ gas work as your own

The gas safe is 1 cps scheme that everyone recognizes and knows- not 6-8 different schemes with different requirements

I know a few gas guys who sign off unregistered guys work....

Don't be angry about it - it's not our fault, it frustrates us as well.
Do as Taylor in #14 said and get your solicitor to ascertain what certificates are available - if there are non then have a jiggle with the purchase price or if you have to cough up yourself when you have the place and get an EICR performed on the place. Any remedials can be negotiated with the electrician to bring you right up to selling state. You can't do everything yourself so hand that one out and pay for it.
Just my opinion. Ps. I won't do any plumbing in my place - dirty messy stuff is water!

I know a few gas guys who sign off unregistered guys work....
Please Please Please report them- Not because I want all the work myself but simply because they are putting peoples lives in risk!
It is impossible to check every part of an installation on a check after the work has been completed.
I know several gas engineers who have been called back because screws were missing on the boilers.
Flues are sealed in the wall and can not be inspected once they have been installed, if this is wrong this can leak products of combustion into the cavity.
If they are good friends then speak to them about what they are doing and the risks involved.
You wouldn't get on a plane if you knew they hadn't done any safety checks, would you?

Don't be angry about it - it's not our fault, it frustrates us as well.
Do as Taylor in #14 said and get your solicitor to ascertain what certificates are available - if there are non then have a jiggle with the purchase price or if you have to cough up yourself when you have the place and get an EICR performed on the place. Any remedials can be negotiated with the electrician to bring you right up to selling state. You can't do everything yourself so hand that one out and pay for it.
Just my opinion. Ps. I won't do any plumbing in my place - dirty messy stuff is water!
Not angry, just feel sorry for you guys! I always wonder what if the customer pulls the boiler apart once I leave and have signed it off- but you guys are signing something off with a guarantee that they will almost always mess about with it as soon as you leave

Please Please Please report them- Not because I want all the work myself but simply because they are putting peoples lives in risk!
It is impossible to check every part of an installation on a check after the work has been completed.
I know several gas engineers who have been called back because screws were missing on the boilers.
Flues are sealed in the wall and can not be inspected once they have been installed, if this is wrong this can leak products of combustion into the cavity.
If they are good friends then speak to them about what they are doing and the risks involved.
You wouldn't get on a plane if you knew they hadn't done any safety checks, would you?

They are not friends.... Just guys I know....

As a spark I never sign off anyone's work....

Everyday is the year of living dangerously - I use a voltage indicator on the front door bell, I'm so suspicious!
but you guys are signing something off with a guarantee that they will almost always mess about with it as soon as you leave

Reply to Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net