Discuss Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If you can prove competence, you are allowed legally to diy gas in your own home. This does not however, apply to doing gas work for family and friends even if without charge. (This has been confirmed by the HSE)

Competence is only proven by passing ACS exams and having the appropriate equipment and ability to carry out certain safety tests required by law.

Please note if you ignore this advice:

1) If you are found working illegally, (not gas competent), you are breaking the law and the H.S.E. can prosecute. Example HERE
2) You will be putting your family at risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
3) Your insurance co is likely to reject any claims being caused by DIY gas work.

Read more: DIY GAS - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/diy-gas.8090/#ixzz4boK5R647

Problem here, is that the question of competency would only arise if something were to go wrong.
As for the stuff about having to pass the ACS exams, that's just not the case at all.
There are installations which are exempt from the requirements of the Legislation. The persons working at such installations are not required to be registered, or hold any ACS qualifications.
Such people would generally be deemed competent.

Yeah these are clearly defined- If I was to research it properly the definition of "competent" is even defined clearly in plain English. Trust me it is covered.

This is why I posted this thread as in Gas everything is covered, if its not in the gas regulations then it is in the manufacturers installation instructions, which supersede the regulations or in the Gas safe regulations, every stone has been turned every dot has been crossed every t has been crossed.

And if that isn't enough- you can be done for impersonating a government official for falsely pretending to be gas safe registered whether that is when you sell the house or when the house explodes and kills all the neighbors.
And then you will find it impossible to sell the house without a building control certificate for the boiler.

Factories, mines, quarries, among others.
Having the necessary skill, knowledge or ability to do something successfully.
Sorry, you may believe everything is covered, but there really has been no change since Corgi was introduced.
The Regulations only apply to persons who conduct gas work for remuneration, and will continue to do so, until competent is changed to qualified.
You may well be able to be done for impersonation, but only if you tell someone that you are registered.

Factories, mines, quarries, among others.
Having the necessary skill, knowledge or ability to do something successfully.
Sorry, you may believe everything is covered, but there really has been no change since Corgi was introduced.
The Regulations only apply to persons who conduct gas work for remuneration, and will continue to do so, until competent is changed to qualified.
You may well be able to be done for impersonation, but only if you tell someone that you are registered.
Quarries, mines, factories, training centres, caravans, boats and portable devices are not covered and you do not need to be competent to fit them or work on them.
Bizarly I have answered my question by arguing about the regs- Am I a competent electrician? Will the house sell without correct paperwork? Will anybody sign off my work- No!

Jase your living in a dream world..please fly back over to the plumbing forum on the magic carpet you came here on, & dont come back!!
This is exactly why I left plumbing forum- plumbers can't have a healthy discussion without being rude and abusive to each other!

SO back to the OP:

Do you have the latest copy of the regs, OSG and relevant guidance notes?
Do you have a calibrated tester?
Does your PL insurance cover doing electrics?

SO back to the OP:

Do you have the latest copy of the regs, OSG and relevant guidance notes?
Do you have a calibrated tester?
Does your PL insurance cover doing electrics?
No, No And No- but that is my point do you need all that for minor works?
If its not notifiable then why would you need all that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because you need to test your work before you fire it up. We don't just run the cable and switch on to see if it works. Is that what you would do with a gas installation?

It must be ok if it doesn't go bang?:rolleyes:

No, No And No- but that is my point do you need all that for minor works?
If its not notifiable then why would you need all that?

Because testing of an alteration ensures it complies with the wiring regs, which in turn should ensure safety of the circuit for continued use. All new work, no matter how small, notifiable or not, should be tested.

Because you need to test your work before you fire it up. We don't just run the cable and switch on to see if it works. Is that what you would do with a gas installation?

It must be ok if it doesn't go bang?:rolleyes:
It is with wet plumbing!!
What I mean is, why do you need minor works certificate? does it help sell the house? is it a legal requirement, is it required by solicitors when selling or is it just something you give customer?
Who reads the certificate?

It is with wet plumbing!!
What I mean is, why do you need minor works certificate? does it help sell the house? is it a legal requirement, is it required by solicitors when selling or is it just something you give customer?
Who reads the certificate?

The certificate is a record and proof that the alteration has been done to the wiring regs. The issuing of a certificate is a requirement of the regs in itself. Interested parties may include solicitors, insurance agents, estate agents, potential buyers etc.

All electrical work should comply with BS 7671. BS 7671 requires specified electrical work to be accompanied by a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate, so to comply you should provide one. Simpless.

And I believe the EAWR stipulate you should keep records of the installation for the life of the installation. Records that include details of the work carried out on it. That would include MEIWCs.

So the best I can do is remove floorboards, chase walls, drill holes in joists.
Why are some NICEIC member approved and some not? is it because they pay more for extra assessments?

I read often that the Yanks swear by the Bang test
They sent a man to the Moon,if it was us we would still be filing the paperwork for the launch :)

Reply to Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock