• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Reinstating / making good in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

in the statement of works I have from my electrician, it says:
"Re-instatement of damaged areas: all areas of the house where it is necessary to cut wall chases and sink boxes etc will be restored to a condition suitable for redecoration."

I did not thoroughly define what this means prior to the work starting, and we are now approaching the end.

I wanted to find out what condition would you all believe to be a reasonable way to leave the damaged areas to capture the spirit of that quote? Bonding plaster only, or finishing plaster? If he just leaves bonding plaster, should I push for finishing plaster? I can't decorate directly on top of bonding plaster, would need finishing plaster or filler first, so my thinking was that it should be up to a paintable standard, but I might be expecting too much.

many thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

in the statement of works I have from my electrician, it says:
"Re-instatement of damaged areas: all areas of the house where it is necessary to cut wall chases and sink boxes etc will be restored to a condition suitable for redecoration."

I did not thoroughly define what this means prior to the work starting, and we are now approaching the end.

I wanted to find out what condition would you all believe to be a reasonable way to leave the damaged areas to capture the spirit of that quote? Bonding plaster only, or finishing plaster? If he just leaves bonding plaster, should I push for finishing plaster? I can't decorate directly on top of bonding plaster, would need finishing plaster or filler first, so my thinking was that it should be up to a paintable standard, but I might be expecting too much.

many thanks!
If that’s his wording in the quotation he should have it smooth enough to be painted over.

Usually I fill the holes with bonding, they one coat of finishing, and I tell the client they should organise their own painter/ decorator to give it a once over if they want it perfect.

Please can you post some pics up of what the finish is now.

Please can you post some pics up of what the finish is now.
Thanks all, here's a pic that's a good example of how the finishing looks of the rough bonding plaster. Chasing and box surroundings are all similar to that level of finish.

If you include make good, what would you do regarding the holes left by old back-boxes? That is, where you move sockets (e.g. bringing up to 450mm from floor), would you remove the old back box and fill the hole with plaster, or does that not come under making good? Technically nothing damaged there so I can see that it wouldn't be covered.
Reinstating / making good plaster - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks all, here's a pic that's a good example of how the finishing looks of the rough bonding plaster. Chasing and box surroundings are all similar to that level of finish.

If you include make good, what would you do regarding the holes left by old back-boxes? That is, where you move sockets (e.g. bringing up to 450mm from floor), would you remove the old back box and fill the hole with plaster, or does that not come under making good? Technically nothing damaged there so I can see that it wouldn't be covered.
View attachment 40505
Is he coming back to finish that mess off?

looks like he but that on with a butter knife ,why did you not get a plasterer in for the chases ,or was the price to good ?

To be fair, if that can be covered up by a good plasterer or decorator, then its better than trying to leave a flush finish, that will look a complete mess when painted over.

My T&C's state that all chases etc, will be under filled by 2mm, to allow for final finish, which is not included in the quotation. However, I can give you the number of a good plasterer and/or decorator.

Worst thing about it is the screws are not vertical on the faceplate
Oh no not another one, I worked with a bloke like that once, he served his time as a Sparky wiring up passenger carriages at some big rail depot, always insisted on the screw slot being all the same plane, pxssded him off no end when I put all mine at 45Degrees, funny never got on that well after the fallout from that episode. His nickname was Thrush, jeez he was irritating.

Reply to Reinstating / making good in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back