Discuss relay wiring? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stevengo

hi everyone. new to the forum and have a question i would like some guidance with please.

i am wanting to switch between 2 ipod docking stations on my multiroom audio system.
i have a relay and base 230vac/30vdc.
i have managed to wire it so it switches manually how i want it to by pushing the button on the relay. so if i push the button ipod 1 comes on and when i release the button ipod 2 comes on. so far so good. i figured that i could use a d.p switch with a feed in from a power supply then a feed out to energise the coil. job done.
problem is i dont know what voltage i should provide to energise the coil as im only switching rca audio which is basically volt free.
can i provide 230v to energise the coil?

sounds like you have a relay with a 30V d.c. coil. if so don't bang 230V across it. it will go bang.

Sounds like you have a 200KV Relay, uncommon but they exist, now, you're going to have to move next to or near a power station, to get a constant 275KV for free, just get some thick alu cable make it off and lassoo it around the first transformer outside of the plant. If you want to do this without being caught you're guna have to kill anyone that sees you.

OR

Buy loads of beefy cable and make your own tranny 230V->200KV, primary 1 turn, secondary 1000 turns might do it.

OR

:17::17::17::17: like me. Wednesday too early to drink? Nah :sunny:

What does the coil voltage say it is on the side of the relay? ..... the 230vac/30vdc could be the contact ratings

thankyou darkwood and plugs n sparks foe your positive comments. everyone else must be very bored trying to impress one another.
i cant use a two way switch as the relay switches through n/o or n/c contact to go to ipod via the common terminal which goes to the ipod server. because im using volt free contacts i just need to know what voltage is recommended to energise the coil therefore what relay is then required.
the one i have is an 11 pin relay and states 230vac/30vdc. i presumed this was my choice of power to supply the coil. thanks

Sounds like you have a 200KV Relay, uncommon but they exist, now, you're going to have to move next to or near a power station, to get a constant 275KV for free, just get some thick alu cable make it off and lassoo it around the first transformer outside of the plant. If you want to do this without being caught you're guna have to kill anyone that sees you.

OR

Buy loads of beefy cable and make your own tranny 230V->200KV, primary 1 turn, secondary 1000 turns might do it.

OR

:17::17::17::17: like me. Wednesday too early to drink? Nah :sunny:

This is brilliant. Laughed out loud in the office. :blush5: :)

The wiring should e of high quality that maintain the load of all devices importantly in shops where voltage problem arises. At the time of building these shops wiring should be made by considering all the load that is maximum expected.

Not **** Sherlock.....can you run that by me again....!!!!

hi everyone. new to the forum and have a question i would like some guidance with please.

i am wanting to switch between 2 ipod docking stations on my multiroom audio system.
i have a relay and base 230vac/30vdc.
i have managed to wire it so it switches manually how i want it to by pushing the button on the relay. so if i push the button ipod 1 comes on and when i release the button ipod 2 comes on. so far so good. i figured that i could use a d.p switch with a feed in from a power supply then a feed out to energise the coil. job done.
problem is i dont know what voltage i should provide to energise the coil as im only switching rca audio which is basically volt free.
can i provide 230v to energise the coil?

you finished it yet?

7400 Quad Nand set up as an SR Flip-Flop with a low noise Opto-Isolator,tactile button switch (if you want to do a very basic switch circuit for just the audio signal) what are you doing this for ?

Reply to relay wiring? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net