Discuss RELAYS - Latch V Momentary types in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

ElecricRatch

Hi all.

Wondering if you guys can help me.

I'm creating a very simple motorcycle loom and have run into one area where I'm not 100% clear on what to do.

I have a remote triggered relay board which can trigger / switch 4 things.

The board is continuos feed, 12V and 20amp per output.

I have a starter relay for the bike which is clear - the relay will crank the starter as long as the remote relay supplies it - whilst my finger is holding down the remote fob.

However - before I start the bike I must move the bike to 'Ignition' and here is the tricky part.

The bike demands 60amp to supply all loads. So I need to use another relay to do this but I need it to behave like a switch - 1 tap ON - 1 more tap OFF.

I understand this is called a LATCH relay - but I cannot find any latch relays over 25amp.

Any ideas?

used a low current latching relay, to feed a high current normal relay.......the latching relay will hold the high current relay on.

Thanks for your reply Taz.

Could the remote relay not do this same job? Thereby negating the low current relay?

Thanks for fast reply.

Could I not use the remote relay to hold the high current relay on? It can deliver 20amps switching current. Though to hold the 60 amp relay on would require less than 1 amp?

Menas I coud do without the intermediate latching relay.

the remote relay would need to latch....if it does then fine....relay coils only tend to draw milliamps.
Does sound a bit of a dangerous set up tho....consider the steering lock coming on while driving...!!

Why would the steering lock come on?

1) There is no steering lock.
2) Its a custom - keyless ignition. The top yoke is devoid of any key or switch.

The remote relay is more like a 'switch' rather than a relay. You turn it off or on.
Its operated by bluetooth - the plan is to turn on ignition and the starter motor from my phone - viai a simple app I'm making.

TSRB430- 4 Channel Bluetooth Smartphone Controlled 30A Relay Board with Enclosure

Im not sure what your trying to do would be street legal .... good luck on getting it insured when you have designed the Electric starting system unless you can provide certification that you meet the relevant standards for safety and design.

I think the initial relay you were looking for is a change-over relay but check its what your after by reading up on it.

Ok from information, you posted can see the idea, if you only using 2 relay ie one for starting and on for ignition, could suggest you lock one of the other relays to ignition ie one turns ingition on and locks itself, the other relay the unlocks the ignition relay, so basically the ignition relay is self latching

@Darkwood
its nothing more than a remote start system. Pretty basic and quite common. I'm just using a phone instead of a fob. All the bike requires is an MOT and it is legal - not sure why you deem my loom or circuits as unsafe when I haven't mentioned any detail other than the plans for ignition and start. It will be superior to manufacturer looms in every way with a digital fuse controller and premium components everywhere along with properly fused, terminated, insulated and routed wiring.

I've seen work from 'certified' electricians that would make you wince.

@Tazz
The starter relay is run from a microprocessor controlled fuse controller - which only powers up when the ignition relay is latched to then flow the 60amps it needs. So it cannot start until ignition is on - as normal.

There are of course hidden manual kill and start switches wired in parallel just in case.

Do have a good knowledge of electronics, as a pcb designer. limited on micros , but do understand i/o level of micros, with limited C / hex programming.......your have 4 relay outputs, so we can self latch a relay, and release by a second, very basic.....or if you wish, we can use cmos logic to latch an output.

The output of the remote relay is 'continuous' which I take to mean delivers constant current. So it will hold ignition relay ON a make it latched until I switch it off and so it up latches ignition relay.

The starter is a bit more tricky. A starter relay doesn't want constant current - just current whilst the start button is down because for my bike it's upto 80amps. I will have to program app to do timed starter trigger of 3 seconds max or better yet execute 'tactile' current - only when button is held down.

Otherwise the remote relay will fire the starter relay constantly even when engine is running - not good obviously.

Do have a good knowledge of electronics, as a pcb designer. limited on micros , but do understand i/o level of micros, with limited C / hex programming.......your have 4 relay outputs, so we can self latch a relay, and release by a second, very basic.....or if you wish, we can use cmos logic to latch an output.

By the way - the board is not programmable and I think what you describe us not possible via the app controls which are very basic.

@Darkwood
its nothing more than a remote start system. Pretty basic and quite common. I'm just using a phone instead of a fob. All the bike requires is an MOT and it is legal - not sure why you deem my loom or circuits as unsafe when I haven't mentioned any detail other than the plans for ignition and start. It will be superior to manufacturer looms in every way with a digital fuse controller and premium components everywhere along with properly fused, terminated, insulated and routed wiring.

I didn't deem them unsafe just an heads up that if you alter anything from its original design you may need to declare it when insuring the bike, it may well pass its MOT but all insurers have clauses and just be careful you read them thoroughly failure to do so may mean you don't get payed out regardless off reason for claim. I insure my van and car and im always asked if ive added to or adapted my vehicles in any way ... if i have i let them know and they decide if its irrelevant or not and may increase or decrease the quote you get.

Can only suggest delayed outputs from onboard relay outputs, timing can be controlled from secs to minutes
RELAYS - Latch V Momentary types lm555powerdelay - EletriciansForums.net

If your ignition light is the same as a car then the light lights because it gets a poz from the ignition and a neg through the alternator windings. Then when the engine is running the ignition light goes out because it has 2 positives. Therefor the alternator to ignition light wire changes polarity and can be used to cancel the starter motor on a remote start. Neg with engine off, poz with engine running.

Boydy

only problem there if starter motor can reach threshold of alternator on start, in speed..... it will switch off. you need a positive action when engine fires

idea....frequency to voltage converter (ie rev counter)...on startup can only see engine producing 2/3 hz`s, when running idling will be 100 to 200 hz`s rev/min, starter switches off

Tazz you have lost me.

I think simplest way is timed current max 3-4 secs. So no matter what happens, power is cut to the starter relay and also the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to RELAYS - Latch V Momentary types in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock