Discuss relays in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some relays do have a manual actuator for test and troubleshooting purposes, but it's not always an 'orange tab', it equally be could be a blue lever or a red button. They can be a menace when people poke around inside panels they don't understand, pressing randomly...

Very useful on old fire alarm panels, to prevent doors closures, plant shutdown etc when testing.
But can be a pain, if not reset when testing is completed.

Some relays do have a manual actuator for test and troubleshooting purposes, but it's not always an 'orange tab', it equally be could be a blue lever or a red button. They can be a menace when people poke around inside panels they don't understand, pressing randomly...

I remember a guy who in a fault situation shorted out a relay to get things back on track.. And sent a 4.5 inch artillery shell up the backside of another with 3000 psi of hydraulics behind it. That was a big oops.

...Yes,had to do a fair bit of solder-scraping,after chaps have pressed the wrong two out of three manuals,on star/delta start equipment....mini Vesuvius :icon12:

I remember a guy who in a fault situation shorted out a relay to get things back on track.. And sent a 4.5 inch artillery shell up the backside of another with 3000 psi of hydraulics behind it. That was a big oops.
Lovely!...was it as troublesome to get them out as when you got 2 or 3 pellets jammed up yer air rifle barrel? :icon12:

Yes,i bet that was a relief...seen what a 12 guage does to a plugged barrel,can imagine the ordinance in question being a tad more costly...:icon12:

One of the worse or best things ever devised. Having spent many miserable hours finding where some muppet has used the override to get around a fault and not recorded it in the shift log, the worse things. When finding a fault, they’re the best.

Before relays with overrides became readily available we would remove the relay and use a 18” loop of singles to bridge out the relay. Anyone opening the panel could immediately see what had been done.
Somewhere in my tool chests I’ve still got the relays I made with the guts removed and mini toggle switches fitted. Very useful when commissioning a plant.

Somewhere in my tool chests I’ve still got the relays I made with the guts removed and mini toggle switches fitted. Very useful when commissioning a plant.

Reminds me of using something like the lamp test button to simulate inputs when commissioning a PLC driven machine providing you remember to remove it from the program when finished. It gets interesting when someone tests the lamps and one of the motors starts indexing! :D

Reply to relays in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net