• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Release electrical certificates in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

eserem

-
Reaction score
Hello
I am an Italian electrician who has worked in London for 3 years.
I am a self-employed and I can not issue certificates, so for every job I commission an engineer who inspects my work constantly, do all the tests and then issue the certificate to my clients.
not being able to issue the certificates and to call an external person to certify my work, it affects the profesionality, it costs me more to pay them and I often have to return the favor, working for them under 130£ a day.
I mainly do civilian electrical systems for villas or big houses, which have been run by a minimum of 5 studios,
for the rest of the facilities for small restaurants or clothing stores and when I work with some engineers, i do on large plants like Italian bakery chains, famous Italian stores in London, the new 7-storey Dolce e Gabbana, 4-storey Disquared ecc
although I have been living here for 3 years and I have learned a lot about English regulations, I work mainly in an all-Italian environment, 90% of my clients are Italian, plumbers, bricklayers etc. are Italian, so I have a language problem, I do not speak still good English and as in this case I'm using a translator. I apologize if something is incomprehensible in the text.

I would like to know which roads can be traveled to be able to issue electrical certificates. is there any course to do at home so that I can translate and then introduce myrself to a commission? or take an online exam? I'm incapacitated to go to classes in the classroom, in addition to the problem of language, I have a wife and 2 babies infant, during the day there is someone who helps my wife, but the afternoon is alone.

thank you very much for your help.

Welcome to the forum mate.
What qualifications do you have?
Who has said you can not issue certificates?

Benvenuti al forum di mate.
Che cosa qualifiche si dispone?
Chi ha detto che non si può rilasciare i certificati?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum mate.
What qualifications do you have?
Who has said you can not issue certificates?

How can I certify my work, even if I follow all the English regulations, without having a document that gives me the approval to issue electrical certificates?
unfortunately I have no qualifications, in Italy to receive the qualifications of a company you have to work for 5 years, I worked for 7 years with one and the rest as self empolyed, the problem is that in Italy after each year that passes in the company your salary is increased, so my employer fired me every year and then summarized me.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Can I show my work to someone and ask for a qualification, even if I have not certified them? or by returning to the main question, how can I take qualifications from home or online?
thanks again for your answers, I really appreciate it

I'm not aware of any law which would support that statement. That isn't to say that attaining qualifications would certainly be advisable, and that competence is indeed mandated.

Not quite sure what you are suggesting.
Is there a way that the OP can issue certificates for the work he does then? I'm sure he would love to know, as would I.

Not quite sure what you are suggesting.
Is there a way that the OP can issue certificates for the work he does then? I'm sure he would love to know, as would I.
If he is competent (which he is required to be in order to carry out electrical installation work in the first place) then there is nothing to stop him from inspecting, testing and certifying the installation (i.e. initial verification). This is, indeed, a requirement of BS7671. If someone else is responsible for the inspection and testing then they would need to be inspecting the work during erection and on completion - so would be on site much of the time anyway. It's no good to simply come in after the work is done to verify it.

Well, of course he could issue certs, but if his work was subject to building warrant then the BC is not likely to accept them for warrant purposes.

Well, of course he could issue certs, but if his work was subject to building warrant then the BC is not likely to accept them for warrant purposes.
The OP is in London, not Scotland, so Building Warrants don't come into this.

If he is competent (which he is required to be in order to carry out electrical installation work in the first place) then there is nothing to stop him from inspecting, testing and certifying the installation

Forgive my ignorance but what makes someone 'competent'?
This section of your post above sounds like any DIYer could cert their work, if no qualifications are needed.

Forgive my ignorance but what makes someone 'competent'?
This section of your post above sounds like any DIYer could cert their work, if no qualifications are needed.
Only a court could assess whether someone was competent to carry out certain work should it come to that. So there's not much point in me stating an opinion (as that is all that it would be). Certainly it could include qualifications, experience, training etc.

The law (and indeed BS7671), however, requires competence and not any particular qualification(s).

Only a court could assess whether someone was competent to carry out certain work should it come to that. So there's not much point in me stating an opinion (as that is all that it would be). Certainly it could include qualifications, experience, training etc.

The law (and indeed BS7671), however, requires competence and not any particular qualification(s).

By law I don't have to work to BS7671.
The OP is trying to find out info on if he can do his own certs. He has no qualifications. I'm saying that without the proper qualifications then he shouldn't be able to do his own certs.

The OP is trying to find out info on if he can do his own certs. He has no qualifications. I'm saying that without the proper qualifications then he shouldn't be able to do his own certs.
You are entitled to think that he "shouldn't" be able to. This doesn't alter the fact that legally there is no prohibition on this.

Reply to Release electrical certificates in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back