Discuss Releasing car door deadlock - equipment needed? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I want to try the method below to release my car door deadlock. I have access to the door lock module and have identified the two pins but have no idea what equipment I need to do it re power supply, leads, wires? Cheers

"If the door is dead locked try the following without any damage being done.
1. Connect + 12V fused (5A fuse will be fine) power to pin 2 on locking module.
2. Connect - 12V wire to pin 1 on locking module."

No one is going to give an answer to this.

Why?

Sounds like you're trying to break into a car.

because one of my back doors wont open from inside or out as the door module has failed and this releases it and opens the door so I can replace it. To access the door module you need to take off the inner door panel and remove the window etc which I have done so I'm past the breaking in stage!

try following the instructions you posted in #1. + to pin 2 and - to pin 1.

any 12V battery will do. just fit a 5A in line fuse in the +12V line.

If the module itself is knackered, the only option is to remove it.
You will have to release the lock manually to open the door.

If the module itself is knackered, the only option is to remove it.
You will have to release the lock manually to open the door.
correct.
if you can access the linkage rod you can manually unlock it,(a locksmith can do this as they have the proper tools and training)
if you can remove the interior panel and the dust liner you will be able to access the linkages. (you will need to remove the panel and liner anyway to replace the module)

Had to change the lock mechanism on Discovery some years ago, Haynes manual said 'remove door lining, window and window frame'. I took the panel off, didn't fancy taking window and frame off, and thought there was room to get mechanism out. Oh no, Land rover designers have a sense of humour. Space was about a midges dick too small. No matter which way I tried it I couldn't get it out, window had to be removed.

Reply to Releasing car door deadlock - equipment needed? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net