Discuss reliability of DEWALT! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
since i started ive only ever owned or used dewalt. reason i brought all dewalt was because all the other lads i was working with owned them and the batteries were compatable!

so my 12v driver has been repaired 3 times in 4 years, (trigger, chuck, ??)

18v driver chuck locked open, replaced, li-ion charger stopped charging, replaced, and drill now only works when upside down (carbon brushes maybe?)

18v flouescent tourch wont ignite the tube, tube replaced, still wont fire! new torch needed!

24v now has a limited hammer action, no precision, was replaced twice in first year after clutch was slipping and electric break quit!

i service them every now and again, and use the supplied grease when its looking dry!

the other lads have been having similar problems too! must say my mate gave me an old 110v dewalt and it takes an absolute beating on a daily basis and the only sign of wear is the cord!

ive got dewalt 18v jigsaw, grinder, site radio, circular saw, laser, and 110v chop saw im reluctant to replace the working items!

it's the battery's that went on my gear. 4 in the space of a year!!!
i'm on bosch at minute, seem to be o.k.
would like some thoughts/reviews on Milwaukee.

I've got a Dewalt 12 volt XRP Combi and driver that are probably 5 years old. Not had any issues other than the batteries coming to the end of their life.

Will be replacing with Bosch sometime in the new year. Thing that puts me of Dewalt is that some of their thing are being made in China and their Lithium batts only seem to be 2 ah

Last edited:
Always used bosch but went for dewalt last year when buying a 24v sds. The batteries are already on their way out. Will resort back to bosch as soon as I need to. Was told black and decker had bought over a large section of dewalt and the standard has dropped.

I have an 18volt Makita set and so far so good. Consists of SDS drill, drill/driver, impact driver and jigsaw. The batteries are still okay but it's only 2 years old so fingers crossed. I've always liked Makita for general tools.

I have seen a huge downturn in the standard of dewalt power tools and am buying makita from now on, or Bosch if it's a good deal.

Nail on the head when you say you've got an old 110v drill that is great. I've had a fair bit of dewalt and have always had problems, the only folks I see that swear by their dewalt stuff have had it for over 10 years.

I've been though dewalt - went to makita, 24v sds packed up just over a year after i got it, gave up and bought Hilti 36v - had it 4 years and never had a problem (*touches wood*) last year i picked up a 15v hilti Combi via ebay - brand new £150. only catch it's 110V charger - 110v plug hey presto. Have recently bought an AEG 14.4v combi from screwfix on offer, very pleased so far.

Does anyone use the hilti rental scheme?

I am sick and tired of burntout tools and dead batteries Dewalt included (Rate their trousers though!!)

The Hilti scheme sounds really good, I am in need of new 36v cordless sds and simple cordless and am looking into this!

Hi cbw, the Hilti Fleet Management is very good in one way, that you get to run the tools and any problems you occur are sorted immediately and at no extra cost. However the initial cost is quite high, I got a quote for a cordless TE6 SDS drill , and a TE22 drill/driver with 2 batteries each and a charger and it was around £36 plus VAT per month. Add a corded SDS (with a chisel function) £11 per month plus VAT and you can be paying around £650 per year inc VAT.

Their service however is amazing and if any tool or battery fails on the Fleet management service, they will pick up for repair and leave you a loan tool. You get unlimited battery replacement and also free servicing.

I owned a Bosch 36v before the Hilti and must admit that it was an excellent bit of kit, and these can be picked up for around £450 new with 3 year warranty. The Hilti 36v cost around £750 new.

I think I am going to do it!!!

My te6a has 2 36v batteries and they are both dead, they want £300 each to replace!!!!!

Last edited:
The other thing that put me off the Hilti fleet scheme is you don't get to keep the kit at the end of the contract, yes it may be out of warranty and have a bit of wear and tear but knowing the way I treat tools they would be basically mint, I would want to keep them then get the new drill and either use the old one as back up or lend it to a apprentice maybe even god forbid sell it on ebay to recoup some of the money laid out.

Oh and anything made by Dewalt in the USA is great ie the old stuff as others have mentioned. As for the new stuff would rather poke my eyes out than use it. The only time I may buy some Dewalt stuff is when I want some sacrificial tools if I'm on a larger site:p

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit that I like the Bosch power tools always use them. Though being a tight old T**T I use to check out the shed;s Wickes, B&Q places like this local, and they invariably had offers on SDs drills and stuff.

I once got a 230v SDS from Wickes on offer for 36 pound and it lasted about 7 months and then fell to bits. Got the wife to take it back and after much humming and tuting managed to get another under the warrenty and still have it somewhere.

I always did this if you get a result and get it changed then fine, but if you don't then as we live in a throw away society then up the dump and get another cheapo that last 6 months. This I think is quite a good way for new starters to begin, it's huge outlays when you first start out vans, testers, insurance, schemes etc etc, theses "disposable" power tools can get you over the first few months/year of trading.

I just continued you as I said becasue I was a tight wad, and as said someone invariably want to borrow something off you and to help you dole these out.

Do the prices you give for the Hilti fleet scheme include insurance? What happens in the case of theft?

I read in the small print that in the event of theft you have to pay 30% of the total cost of a new tool then they provide a replacement.

I suppose thats quite a good idea, makes you more carefull not to leave them laying around!

Defenately going to go ahead with this

Milwaukee power tools are alot more reliable than most other brands out there at the moment.
I have noticed an increase in warranty repairs for Dewalt lately, i have only had 1 problem with an 18v drill from Milwaukee and it was replaced with a new one, its a shame that some of the manufacturers are compromising the quality of the product, but this is prob due to the cost cutting financial downturn we are in

Hi cbw, the Hilti Fleet Management is very good in one way, that you get to run the tools and any problems you occur are sorted immediately and at no extra cost. However the initial cost is quite high, I got a quote for a cordless TE6 SDS drill , and a TE22 drill/driver with 2 batteries each and a charger and it was around £36 plus VAT per month. Add a corded SDS (with a chisel function) £11 per month plus VAT and you can be paying around £650 per year inc VAT.

Their service however is amazing and if any tool or battery fails on the Fleet management service, they will pick up for repair and leave you a loan tool. You get unlimited battery replacement and also free servicing.

I owned a Bosch 36v before the Hilti and must admit that it was an excellent bit of kit, and these can be picked up for around £450 new with 3 year warranty. The Hilti 36v cost around £750 new.
Gotta be worth keeping their number handy fella, do they deliver or just collect at the end?

Reply to reliability of DEWALT! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock