Discuss Removing 2 sockets wired together in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jalana

Evening....looking for some advice on removing 2 single sockets in a room which is being renovated. It seems one (newish) one has been wired from the other - the cabling disappears under floorboards. I don't want any sockets here anymore so need advice on how to safely remove them, assuming I can't chase the wiring back to it's source. Thanks for taking a look!

Removing 2 sockets wired together ima - EletriciansForums.net

Oh, now it looks like painted pvc.

I guess it depends on your skill set. Done any electrickery before?
Aside from fitting lights, changing sockets and light switches, not really....I'm quite good at following instructions though...!

This wouldn't be a difficult job for an electrician to do. That could be a ring final circuit and it's integrity will need maintaining. For someone to give instructions on how to do it with limited information isn't the best idea.

i'd guess that those cables come up behind a skirting board.if so, with the circuit isolated ( best to switch off the whole lot with the main switch), diss. from the sockets and pull back under the floor. if you can't trace them back, then connect them together colour for colour using wago connectors in an enclosure under the floor. i imagine that the circuit is a ring and they need to be reconnected to preserve the integrity of the ring.

having sais all that, it's not a wallet breaker to get a competent electrician to do it safely for tyou.

That's right, it comes from behind old skirting and both sockets were screwed vertically on to a beam. My other option was to remove the spur socket and simply replace the old single and reattach....I don't want/need the socket but at least would look better than it does now! I appreciate your responses and help
i'd guess that those cables come up behind a skirting board.if so, with the circuit isolated ( best to switch off the whole lot with the main switch), diss. from the sockets and pull back under the floor. if you can't trace them back, then connect them together colour for colour using wago connectors in an enclosure under the floor. i imagine that the circuit is a ring and they need to be reconnected to preserve the integrity of the ring.

having sais all that, it's not a wallet breaker to get a competent electrician to do it safely for tyou.

That's right, it comes from behind old skirting and both sockets were screwed vertically on to a beam. My other option was to remove the spur socket and simply replace the old single and reattach....I don't want/need the socket but at least would look better than it does now! I appreciate your responses and help
Good idea.

That would be the best option , just fit a nice new single or double socket, no hidden joint then to potentially cause trouble in the future.

Jolly good, the instruction to follow in this case is to contact a local electrician to sort this out for you
Instructions, plural...and if I fail on changing a plug socket I'll do my best damsel in distress and contact a local spark

It just looked like that Dave, the later photos are of the same accessories but you can see the T+E better(with the paint).

You are assuming that you will survive a fail in changing a socket in order to call en electrician, getting it wrong with electricity could result in your death.
True, as could driving a car, swimming in the sea etc. Appreciate your concern though...I've got good history changing lightbulbs so ready for the next step

Reply to Removing 2 sockets wired together in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock