Discuss Removing an electrical cable on customers property... that doesn't belong to the customer! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have just been to do a quote for an elderly lady to remove a cable from under a stone driveway.

Her neighbours jacked up her car and moved it off her driveway, then made a channel in her driveway, then laid their cable across her driveway to their garage.

They gave her notice of doing this which she refused. The neighbour signed the letter and then added underneath his black belt in karate title just to bully her a little more (an old lady!). Grrrrrr!

She's taking them to court.

My question is, where do I stand about removing this cable on her property. I wont be able to isolate it as it will be on the neighbours property, so basically I can't do it? Plus, the cable is not her property and it's feeding the neighbours shed.

Cheers guys.

think it's upyo the customer ( hopefully with help from her family) to sort this out the legal route. you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. anything you do could come back and bite your arse.

If court action has been taken then leave alone until resolved.
If the court rule the cable can be removed at neighbours expense then by all means charge a decent whack as they will pay not your customer.
Likewise some properties can with the right paperwork run utilities and cables across land but i reckon the neighbours have played a crafty one myself

this is the rub. there might be a clause in the deeds stating that he can run cables etc. across her drive. time for the sharks (lawyers) to get involved. might be an idea for her to consult with CAB.

Have your customer speak to the Police, trespass and criminal damage spring to mind as well as threatening notices, she needs to play the game "vulnerable, I am scared etc etc..........

Tell her to send them a letter signed Mildred Hubble, Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches to be on the safe side.

If it was me I'd T off the cable and feed my own house...............

Trespass onto private land is generally not a criminal offence unless the land is specifically signed and the police will not be interested. I would personally take a wide berth away from this job.

Trespass onto private land is generally not a criminal offence unless the land is specifically signed and the police will not be interested. I would personally take a wide berth away from this job.

The lady is going to need the work doing at some point though. Hopefully not everyone will tell her that they aren't interested.

not the point, DPG. we can all be interested and advise accordingly, but in the end it's a legal matter.

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. I do feel for the lady and I'd like nothing better than to dig up the cable and remove it. However, I haven't got the balls to do that so I'm going to wait for the courts decision. She has actually just got into contact with Western Power who are going to ring her back with regards cutting off the neighbours power to allow the work to be undertaken!!

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. I do feel for the lady and I'd like nothing better than to dig up the cable and remove it. However, I haven't got the balls to do that so I'm going to wait for the courts decision. She has actually just got into contact with Western Power who are going to ring her back with regards cutting off the neighbours power to allow the work to be undertaken!!
Any further info, is it a shared drive etc etc out of interest?

At a guess the neighbours are currently sitting on their old 3 piece suite, grabbing a tin out the fridge and laughing at getting one over on the old dear next door.
This is all happening on their front lawn, not inside the house.

I say lawn.... what I mean is half weeds, half mismatched gravel bit of land they want to call a garden

not the point, DPG. we can all be interested and advise accordingly, but in the end it's a legal matter.

Yes, sorry - I meant assuming legal matters are sorted.

"I say lawn.... what I mean is half weeds, half mismatched gravel bit of land they want to call a garden..."
Yes, littlespark, that's a perfect description we all recognise!
also confirms the contagious nature of gravel:)

If there is a title condition allowing access for servicing cables etc it has to be very specific if it can also allow the placement of new services. Very few do this, in my experience, and while trespass laws are notoriously tricky, if the alleged trespass is carried out for gain, rather than just to traverse from one place to another (which is minimal and not trespass) then an offence has been committed...
well, in Scotland that is...

Scumbags often use bully-boy tactics like this, and tried it on with my parents some years ago with a drain...
eventually we got them to pay a large sum in compensation when they found their sh*t backing up!

Reply to Removing an electrical cable on customers property... that doesn't belong to the customer! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock