Discuss Removing fused switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

serval

-
Reaction score
Im doing my kitchen and have a question regarding the arrangement of some wall mounted fused switches and in cupboard mounted sockets

On the wall I’ve got a couple of switched FCU’s.

Each of these FCU’s are linked to 2 non switched single sockets that are inside the cupboards.

The wall mounted FCU’s are mounted in between a couple of wall mounted plug sockets.

In an effort to have fewer wall mounted gear visible I want to do the following:

-Remove the FCU’s

-Join the cables going to the under cabinet switches using a suitable MF connector

-Replace the under cabinet sockets with switched versions

-Blank off the area where the FCU’s were with a flush steel plate or something similar screwed into the back box

-Tile over.

I think creating the cable joints seems fairly straight forward provided i use suitable MF connection methods (i was thinking of using wago 773's)

What im unsure about is the fact that tiling over means there would be a couple of sets concealed live cabling behind the tiles.

Although the steel plate would provide some degree of protection, im unsure of the correct and accepted method of going about this.

Im aware that I could fit surface mounted blank plates but id like to have as few sockets/switches and blank plates showing as possible.

Can anyone provide some advice on how to do this for a DIY'er?

Thanks in advance

leave it as it is. maybe replace the FCUs and visible sockets with BG metal ones. 1 or 2 sockets with USB. that's what I'd do in our gaff.

Removing fused switches {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

What you are outlining is NOT a good idea ..... my advice is to consult a spark and if I understand your steps correctly, then you sound as if you are planning a kitchen make over, so some of your budget to get this correct isn't going to add much to the overall cost.

I see more "bodges" in kitchens than any other room in the average house .....

Im doing my kitchen and have a question regarding the arrangement of some wall mounted fused switches and in cupboard mounted sockets

On the wall I’ve got a couple of switched FCU’s.

Each of these FCU’s are linked to 2 non switched single sockets that are inside the cupboards.

The wall mounted FCU’s are mounted in between a couple of wall mounted plug sockets.

In an effort to have fewer wall mounted gear visible I want to do the following:

-Remove the FCU’s

-Join the cables going to the under cabinet switches using a suitable MF connector

-Replace the under cabinet sockets with switched versions

-Blank off the area where the FCU’s were with a flush steel plate or something similar screwed into the back box

-Tile over.

I think creating the cable joints seems fairly straight forward provided i use suitable MF connection methods (i was thinking of using wago 773's)

What im unsure about is the fact that tiling over means there would be a couple of sets concealed live cabling behind the tiles.

Although the steel plate would provide some degree of protection, im unsure of the correct and accepted method of going about this.

Im aware that I could fit surface mounted blank plates but id like to have as few sockets/switches and blank plates showing as possible.

Thanks in advance
Employ an Electrician

If you remove the SFCUs and replace with connector blocks you will have two unfused spurs going to two switched sockets hidden in the cupboards.
Firstly what was/is connected in the cupboards, secondly do the appliances need access to isolation and/or emergency switching?
Standard common sense switching will always have local and accessible isolation and fusing.

For goodness sake,its a Kitchen:confused:

I find it incredible,proposing to make a mess of what may be a sound installation,all for the sake of reducing the amount of accessories in what after all is a food workstation:eek:

For goodness sake,its a Kitchen:confused:

I find it incredible,proposing to make a mess of what may be a sound installation,all for the sake of reducing the amount of accessories in what after all is a food workstation:eek:
problem is, some customers see a kitchen as a showpiece to impress the neighbours. same as a new bathroom.it's there to get the crap and sweat off your body and some even have a karzi in them. , nothing more, nothing less. kitchens are for cooking. end of.

Hi OP. Welcome to the forum.
The design you currently have sounds good.
The change you suggest may be possible but I would say that is't not as good as what you have now.
You probably don't care about the functionality/design of it and would just like a 'less cluttered' kitchen.
Post some pick up of the sockets so we can have a better idea of what you are suggesting.

problem is, some customers see a kitchen as a showpiece to impress the neighbours. same as a new bathroom.it's there to get the crap and sweat off your body and some even have a karzi in them. , nothing more, nothing less. kitchens are for cooking. end of.
You posting that Tel reminds me of going around to someone's house (not work related) once took my shoes off walked in lounge put one foot on this rug "don't stand on that it's just for show".

Thanks for the posts all, reckon ill get a spark in to do it correctly based on your advice.

On another note, im assuming the cabling from the FCU to the sockets is chased into the wall and runs down behind the kitchen work top.

If that is the case would it be likely that the worktop and base units would have to be removed in order to make the changes im looking for?

Hi OP. Welcome to the forum.
The design you currently have sounds good.
The change you suggest may be possible but I would say that is't not as good as what you have now.
You probably don't care about the functionality/design of it and would just like a 'less cluttered' kitchen.
Post some pick up of the sockets so we can have a better idea of what you are suggesting.

To be fair, the current design is alright
Its just that as you said some of the walls look cluttered.

The worst is a 2ft round of continuous switches and sockets etc with no space between them and only half of the things are in use.

I think the previous owners had several integrated appliances that are no longer there and not likely to be replaced. Thats why i wanted to do away with some of the unused wall switches and keep the sockets in the base units just in case.

If you remove the SFCUs and replace with connector blocks you will have two unfused spurs going to two switched sockets hidden in the cupboards.

Would the fuse fitted into the appliance plugs not suffice in this situation? (each fcu feeds a single socket)

Firstly what was/is connected in the cupboards, secondly do the appliances need access to isolation and/or emergency switching?
Standard common sense switching will always have local and accessible isolation and fusing.

most of the sockets are unused, one of them is for a dishwasher. I think the previous owner had some integrated appliances in the units. I wont be replacing them due to the new kitchen layout.

secondly do the appliances need access to isolation and/or emergency switching?

I figured the only time id need to isolate is when im pulling the appliance out so id just do that at the socket anyway.
In the case of an emergency my first thought would have been to isolate at the CU which for me is close by instead of going near the appliance if it catches fire or something like that.

If an appliance is intergrated and the socket is behind this then a sfcu to isolate it would be required, a switched socket in the adjacent cupboard would be a good alternative. I increasingly get asked about having no sfcu at worktop height and dont have a problem. A bit more thought and talking to customer during 1st fix goes a long way to getting the desired finish.
what are your thoughts on a cooker isolator being in the adjacent cupboard?

If an appliance is intergrated and the socket is behind this then a sfcu to isolate it would be required, a switched socket in the adjacent cupboard would be a good alternative.

fortunately i have this arrangement for the two FCU's that i want to remove...the sockets are mounted under the unit which houses the sink/plumbing etc. The dishwasher is in the adjacent unit and the other socket is unused.

Im not sure if its good practice having sockets near stuff that could potentially leak but that's a story for another thread!

what are your thoughts on a cooker isolator being in the adjacent cupboard?

I already have a cooker isolator but thats fitted on its own, located on a different wall so not a problem

youmay well find that the FCUs are fed from adjacent sockets, so ant redundant ones could have their supply dissed at relevant socket. doing it that way would not compromise cables in prescribed zones not being easily identified by in-line accessories.

If it twos down to me, I'd have what I wanted in my nice new shiny kitchen, stuff what some fuss pot electricians said.

Rip out your old kitchen, if you get access from above, pull down your plasterboard ceiling and have you electrician wire up your new kitchen to your spec, i.e. no ugly FCU's etc.

If it twos down to me, I'd have what I wanted in my nice new shiny kitchen, stuff what some fuss pot electricians said.

Rip out your old kitchen, if you get access from above, pull down your plasterboard ceiling and have you electrician wire up your new kitchen to your spec, i.e. no ugly FCU's etc.
stop hitting me with those negative waves.

Reply to Removing fused switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock