Discuss Renault laguna abs/ecu fault in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cotty

Hi all, hoping somebody could possibly help me on this one. I am going to buy a second hand abs unit with same model no for car etc but will I have to get Renault to re programme the module to the car?? Renault abs units are £1200 with programming!! Many good one's one e-bay for £45 ish. Have a garage that'll fit it for £80 but he seems to think they may need programming to the car even with the same model no etc!! Any advice will be appreciated. Sorry about no paragraphs as for some reason on windows 8 it will not let me use the enter button! Cheers Cotty

i.m sure some of the independent garages have the capability to reprogramme the unit. i'll ask the chap who does our auto electrics later on.

update. if the car is circa 2004 or older, they usually just plug and play. later ones do need programming. our guy says he can usually do them.

It is a 2001 MK 2 Laguna 1.9 DCI so hoping it'll just plug in and away we go, cheers Tel. Either way I'm better getting it fitted and taking it from there!

pretty certain then that it's simple plug-in then. paul (auto electrician) said the programming jobbies came in around 2004-2005.

my van may be oldish, but at least the engine management system consists of my right foot, not some stupid box of electronic wizardry that's bound to go wrong a month out of warranty.

Mine consists of a fuel shut of valve, and even that can be bypassed, but progress must.....................

Some secondhand electrical units do not work when fitted to another car, they have to be a "virgin" part for the car to recognise it, some need coding, not too sure on your particular application though.

My advise would be plug in the electrical side of things first to see if it works before you go to all the trouble of fitting the part, one other point also is your ECU may have a fault code stored in it which you may have to clear first.

I hope this helps.

I believe that the Renault ECU's cannot be reprogrammed a mate of mine has had similar problems with his Laguna and his daughters Clio a hard reset fixed the ECU on his Laguna but his daughters Clio needed a new body control ECU to fix the various faults and a second hand unit was not an option even a new unit that is mis programmed is no longer useable so I've been told

Best option would be to try one of the ECU repair companies and get yours repaired

I believe that the Renault ECU's cannot be reprogrammed a mate of mine has had similar problems with his Laguna and his daughters Clio a hard reset fixed the ECU on his Laguna but his daughters Clio needed a new body control ECU to fix the various faults and a second hand unit was not an option even a new unit that is mis programmed is no longer useable so I've been told

Best option would be to try one of the ECU repair companies and get yours repaired

I believe this is a problem with a few manufacturers , Fiat 500 being one of the victims .

I am not 100% sure on this . I know some can be reprogrammed and some cannot.

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated, cotty[/QUOTE

My mate has an independant type dealership garage and confirmed that SOME will work depending on the vehicle. I will get banned if I gave you his opinion lol.

My mate has an independant type dealership garage and confirmed that SOME will work depending on the vehicle. I will get banned if I gave you his opinion lol.

I think I know what his opinion is as people I know in the trade probably have similar opinions

It gets difficult justifying the cost of some repairs especially when the vehicle is 5 - 10 years old when you look at the price of parts makes me wonder how much it would cost to build a car from parts

I can only wish you luck Cotty. I bought a Renault Scenic DCI brand new for wifey about 8 or 9 years ago, theyre such a nightmare that no independent repair shop would touch the thing once it was out of service plan. It developed a couple of electronic problems that the main dealers quoted more than the second hand value of the car to fix so we ended up getting rid of it for scrap value.

I think I know what his opinion is as people I know in the trade probably have similar opinions

It gets difficult justifying the cost of some repairs especially when the vehicle is 5 - 10 years old when you look at the price of parts makes me wonder how much it would cost to build a car from parts

You got it in one lol.

I can only wish you luck Cotty. I bought a Renault Scenic DCI brand new for wifey about 8 or 9 years ago, theyre such a nightmare that no independent repair shop would touch the thing once it was out of service plan. It developed a couple of electronic problems that the main dealers quoted more than the second hand value of the car to fix so we ended up getting rid of it for scrap value.

I saw a mint Fiat 500 scrapped because it was beyond economic repair. It's computer had gone and was worth more than the car . Ah well thats conservation for you , when it was running it's emissions were low , enough to build three more ?

It's the con of the century.

Reply to Renault laguna abs/ecu fault in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net