Discuss Rent-a-roof and generation meters in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GaryM

A friend has just has a PV installation completed by a rent-a-roof company.
He's adamant there's no separate generation meter and that readings are taken directly from an inbuilt meter in the inverter remotely by use of a sim card. His words, not mine.
Is this likely? I know remote reading and monitoring is expected but a lack of a generation meter?
Would it not be more likely that the generation meter would have some kind of GSM unit and sim card for remote reading and not the inverter?

As far as I am aware, it would be a generation meter with a GSM, not in the inverter.
One other point(if he is your friend), has he asked his mortgage provider?
If they are aware he has leased his roof out to a third party, it could cause problems, especially if he tries to re mortgage.
I hope this helps

Which company, do you know?

The installs i've done for one of the big ones have smart meters installed, with modems in the top half and a sim card, but its all in the meter. I don't think there is any other acceptable way of measuring production without a meter?

Thanks, I'll ask if his meter has been changed for a smart meter, he just mentioned the one meter has been flashing RED. I told his it's just detecting reverse energy and entirely normal.

Interesting regarding the mortgage provider though.

Gary, get him to check that his meter is not adding his export to his import when it shows RED, of course he will have to wait until his system is producing well.

My mortgage advisor rang me the other day to ask about rent a roof systems, as he has had a few that could not get a deal because a third party has a lease on the roof.

This industry is still in it's infancy here in the UK and I suspect there will be a few things crop up in the future.

One other point(if he is your friend), has he asked his mortgage provider?
If they are aware he has leased his roof out to a third party, it could cause problems, especially if he tries to re mortgage.

We have only installed for such schemes and have always installed a generation meter with GSM.

I have looked into the schemes so we have some idea of what we are working with and usually with rent a roof schemes the mortgage company has already been informed by the company arranging the contract with the client. The installation should also be added to the land registry so the installation is in effect written onto the deeds of the property. All of this should have been discussed with them prior to the installation agreement being signed and verbally explained to them.

I have not heard of mortgage companies having an issue with it as a convenance can be put on properties for a number of reasons, albeit few of them will involve ownership contracts. I would have thought the issue would lay more with potential buyers either not wanting something on their roof they do not own, or being unable to convert the loft space by putting in Dormas, increasing roof height etc without disturbing the array and making more cost for themselves??

If I were to sign anything to do with my home, I would run it past a solicitor as well to make sure any conditions on my property were within reasonable limits and I understood what the implications are, though I have heard first hand of people who couldn't be bothered to take any advice! It is going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few years that is for certain!

I take on board you comments, but it does all depend on how these systems were sold/given to the customer.
As in all industries, there are salesmen and well, there are salesmen.
If the promise to a customer was free electricity for 25 years it sounds great,
so where do I sign springs to mind.
The comment from my mortgage adviser was a genuine one, and could be a problem to some people, which was why I posted.
So, to one and all, please take care when you sign, and take the advise or Solarroofsols, check it out legally first, and with your lender.
I hope this helps.

I think it is within the renters interest to have all the relevent paperwork in place, as this is all to do with the panels becoming a legal entity fixed to the house. Anyone prepared to put £10k worth of gear on a strangers roof without covering their backside legally needs to ask themselves if they should be in business.

Reply to Rent-a-roof and generation meters in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net