Discuss Repairing a damaged back box thread. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Drill a hole at the back of the back box tap it to 3.5mm then either use a long screw or an extender.

Or if you want to bodge it some insulating tape around the current screw........

push screw through faceplate. dab gorilla glue on the end.and round the eges of the socket, screw in and support faceplate with a few copies of your old regs books overnight.

push screw through faceplate. dab gorilla glue on the end.and round the eges of the socket, screw in and support faceplate with a few copies of your old regs books overnight.
What happens when your horse kicks the regs books over?

What happens when your horse kicks the regs books over?
in the civilised North, we keep horses in a stable, not in the house with the chickens and pigs.

There's a cow in my living room in this part of the north, I'm going to let my girlfriend's mother know what she is soon enough. :handok:

It looks like the upstairs in the house has had some electrical work done in the past and I've been left with a couple of blanked off back boxes.

On one of them, the cover plate is loose and looks a little unsightly. While attempting to tighten the screws up, I found the threads on each of the bushing are buggered....

I am going to try to tidy the thread up by retapping with either a M3.5 or M4 tap.

If retapping with the M3.5 does not work, will I need to re drill/clean the holes with say a 3.5mm or 3.6mm drill before trying to run the M4 tap through it or should the M4 tap clean it up ok?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
I have happen on many of the black boxes in my 1960 house, just went straight in with a M4 tap, no drilling, success every time.

It looks like the upstairs in the house has had some electrical work done in the past and I've been left with a couple of blanked off back boxes.

On one of them, the cover plate is loose and looks a little unsightly. While attempting to tighten the screws up, I found the threads on each of the bushing are buggered....

I am going to try to tidy the thread up by retapping with either a M3.5 or M4 tap.

If retapping with the M3.5 does not work, will I need to re drill/clean the holes with say a 3.5mm or 3.6mm drill before trying to run the M4 tap through it or should the M4 tap clean it up ok?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
I have happen on many of the black boxes in my 1960 house, just went straight in with a M4 tap, no drilling, success every time.

Another way of fixing, is to drill out the back of the back box inline with the lug , use a threading tool to put in a thread and then use a long 3.5mm thread front screw can save all re-decorating, was told by an old electrician friend, and Iam getting on now but it works!

Another way of fixing, is to drill out the back of the back box inline with the lug , use a threading tool to put in a thread and then use a long 3.5mm thread front screw can save all re-decorating, was told by an old electrician friend, and Iam getting on now but it works!
i do the same, but it's a pig if you have hard brick tight up behind the box.

Also if lug is in place you can drill out then pinch another lug from another back box and put behind first knackered lug and screw faceplate on that way, it will pull tight.

If your feeling really kinky you can drill and tap the back of the back box :thumbsup:
Another quick fix is to get a piece if 1 mm earth,about 30mm long, out of a T&E, then put it in the lug that is stripped and bend it over to keep it in place. Then use a steel 3.5mm socket screw, and screw the socket/switch home. The steel screw will tap itself into the copper cable. Don't overtighten. It's worked for me on several occasions.

Reply to Repairing a damaged back box thread. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net