Discuss Repairing drills - makita in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
A friend of mine was about to throw a makita 481 away because it stopped working and was smoking. It's a 2014 brushless drill and looks hardly used so I've decided to try and rescue it.

I've got it home and it doesn't work, smoke just comes out from the battery area. Smells of strong plastic burning.

I've took it apart and noticed a black chard area around a resister which sits directly above the battery housing. This is the area the smoke comes out from.

Has anyone got any advice on this? Should I just purchased the same resistor and replace it?

Repairing drills - makita IMG_20190411_201326 - EletriciansForums.net

Thats a capacitor and you could try it they are about £1 on ebay worth a try. then you could sell the drill for £60! ;-)

I would bin it
I use makita and i melt the inner of mine even before a year is up (the insides do not like prolonged use and the heat melts the plastic)
I bin mine (although they are in warranty )as i know i abuse them.

Electrolytics do go bad, and overheat, and leak and do all sorts of nasty things, but they rarely get hot enough to melt plastic because they contain liquid which boils first and splits the top open.

If you are lucky, it is completely S/C, the battery is cooking it and its wiring and replacing it will fix the fault. More likely, there will be all sorts of shorted semis and other problems in the controller that make it a basket case.

I can't read the capacitance and voltage but it appears to be a Panasonic FR-series low-ESR 105° cap. If you do fancy replacing it, you must use a cap of equivalent performance because of the high ripple currents in an inverter drive.

It looks like the capacitor is in a moulded unit. I'll have to look at how to get it out and leave me with something to get a break one in place.

Could it be something else that has caused it to burn out?

I would bin it
I use makita and i melt the inner of mine even before a year is up (the insides do not like prolonged use and the heat melts the plastic)
I bin mine (although they are in warranty )as i know i abuse them.
You Obviously have more money than sence!

Electrolytics do go bad, and overheat, and leak and do all sorts of nasty things, but they rarely get hot enough to melt plastic because they contain liquid which boils first and splits the top open.

If you are lucky, it is completely S/C, the battery is cooking it and its wiring and replacing it will fix the fault. More likely, there will be all sorts of shorted semis and other problems in the controller that make it a basket case.

I can't read the capacitance and voltage but it appears to be a Panasonic FR-series low-ESR 105° cap. If you do fancy replacing it, you must use a cap of equivalent performance because of the high ripple currents in an inverter drive.
Could be something simple like your mate used aftermarket batterys from japan and they fried the drill. If i was you for a couple of quid and just your own time try it you have nothing to loose. just make sure its like for like component. Good luck

A friend of mine was about to throw a makita 481 away because it stopped working and was smoking. It's a 2014 brushless drill and looks hardly used so I've decided to try and rescue it.

I've got it home and it doesn't work, smoke just comes out from the battery area. Smells of strong plastic burning.

I've took it apart and noticed a black chard area around a resister which sits directly above the battery housing. This is the area the smoke comes out from.

Has anyone got any advice on this? Should I just purchased the same resistor and replace it?

View attachment 48783

Check out Miles Tools for parts. mtmc.co.uk/spares well good :)

Reply to Repairing drills - makita in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock