Discuss Replacement cable type for power tool in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sargan

Well flex actually not cable

Typical .... just bought new circular saw, and after a cut, put it down and it neatly fed flex into the blade ... last saw lasted 20+ years ...arrrrgh!

This looks like standard 1mm2 - 2 core PVC insulated/pvc sheathed flex.

A new manufacturerss' flex is over £25 ....

Luckily it is screw fitted in the saw body ... I have new crimps - so that part OK ......... is this flex anything special ? printed on outer sheath is

IEMMEQU NF-USE-1176 <VDE> H05VV-F 2X1.0mm2 N/18421 TA HSING IEC 60227 LF

Looks like a normal PVC flex to me, or does this coding specify something special on thicker sheath or low temp performance.
Well flex actually not cabel.

Typical .... just bought new circular saw, and after a cut, put it down and it neatly fed flex into the blade ... last saw lasted 20+ years ...arrrrgh!

This looks like standard 1mm2 2 core PVC insulated/pvc sheathed flex.

A new 'manufcaturers' flex is over £25 ....

Luckily it is screw fitted in the saw body ... I have new crimps - so that part OK ......... is this flex anything special ? printed on outer sheath is

IEMMEQU NF-USE-1176 <VDE> H05VV-F 2X1.0mm2 N/18421 TA HSING IEC 60227 LF

Looks like a normal PVC flex to me, or does this coding specify something special on thicker sheath or low temp performance.

I use Artic grade Blue flex for 220V power tools
I used to install that on all the power tools at my last employers
but I used 3 core, and crimped the earth off
the 2 core cable should be double insulated
try a local tool hire company, they will probably sell you the correct length for a few quid

Out of interest what sort of consultant are you, medical?

Nothing special, arctic blue as above assuming it's not 110V. B&Q sell it by the metre. I certainly wouldn't pay the £25 the manufacturer wants - unless of course it's oxygen free cable so that you get cleaner cuts :) (refer to other thread).

Maybe use armoured - less chance of cutting through it :)

Manufacturers flex probably has a moulded plug and will connect with no faffing about, that is what I would use.

Manufacturers flex probably has a moulded plug and will connect with no faffing about, that is what I would use.

Really? You would pay £25 for 2m of flex and a plug?
It would still need connecting to the internals of the saw - fitting a plug is no harder than doing that.

some tools come with horrible so called flex that's stiffer than a rock star's d*ck. i fit pond flex (3183P). most costs me nowt as over the years had several pond pumps fail. when binning them, i'v cut the 10m of flex off. i got loads of it.

Some tools have the cable entry strain relief moulded onto the flex, in which case you will need the OEM replacement assembly. Others have a screw-down clamp that might not correctly fit a larger cable (e.g. if replacing 2-core with 3-core artic) so would suggest using original type of cable.

Some tools have the cable entry strain relief moulded onto the flex, in which case you will need the OEM replacement assembly. Others have a screw-down clamp that might not correctly fit a larger cable (e.g. if replacing 2-core with 3-core artic) so would suggest using original type of cable.

True. All the tools I have replaced cables on have been OK with standard flex, but I guess some of the more modern ones may have moulded on strain relief.

Yep won't need money when I am dead:D
speaking of which....... coffin circa £500. down the crem. they don't burn the coffin you paid for.it goes back into the undertaker's stock to be sold on to the next gullible family. bloody scandal. anyone ever seen a wood delivery to the sharks?

Just dump me in a ditch, mind you there is every chance I will up in a ditch with a dented head.

Sorry to insert this message into this thread - but just in case anyone has recently gone through a Bereavement / Funeral might be upset by comments about Cremations / Coffins etc.

Hello telectrix,

Further to what You wrote:

After one of my relations was cremated recently someone [drunkenly] told her family what You wrote about the Coffin not being cremated with the body.

As you can imagine this did not go down at all well - to the extent that Her sons wanted to `sort out` the Funeral Directors and Sue them / report them to the Police for `Fraud` - i.e. charging for a Coffin that was returned to them or perhaps `Sold back to them` by the Crematorium !

There was even the suggestion to carry out surveillance on the Crematorium to try and see if any Funeral Directors vehicles came back to collect Coffins in the days after Cremations,

We looked into this online and asked a family friend who works for a Funeral Director in another area and unsurprisingly it was stated by Him and on various websites that it would be illegal / fraudulent for a Funeral Director to charge for a Coffin which was then not used / not cremated with the Body.

Almost all of the details that we read at the time also stated that it would be a massive breach of the Funeral Directors `Regulations` and Crematorium Regulations for a Body to be taken out of a Coffin once it arrived at a Crematorium.

We also read that a Coffin of some sort is actually required to enable the Body to be cremated correctly - it would apparently be detrimental to the Cremation process to have an exposed Body put into the `Furnace`.

I had a glance again on various Funeral Directors websites before writing this and Googled `Cremations - are coffins cremated with the Body ?` - ALL of the websites state categorically `Yes`.

I do realise of course that the websites would NOT state that the coffins were not cremated IF there was fraudulent activity going on.

telectrix - please don`t think that I am `being funny` with You personally and I am not stating that you should not have written about this - what you described may have been found to have happened - but unless there is a massive `Funeral Director / Crematorium Industry / UK wide fraud` I don`t think that Coffins are returned / `sold` to the Funeral Directors for re-use ?

Sorry again for posting this on this thread but I hope that I may have reassured some readers.

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Replacement cable type for power tool in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock