Discuss Replacement Electrical Tools - Peoples Opinions in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I use mainly knipex for cutters and pliers etc. Wiha drivers and dewalt cordless gear. My bro had 3k worth of festool gear nicked recently, luckily a farmer found it stashed in hes field and handed it in to police and he got it back about 2 weeks later, but i doubt that happens to often! Worst thing about having your tools nicked is it stops you earning an honest living. Some people have no morals

Thieving tools is a declaration of war in my book. I retired my Kewtechniks and Irazolas only last year to my garage. Bought them originally from CEF in the early nineties so they did well and the side cutters are still ok although the screwdrivers have been abused. I checked out new cutters and screwdrivers at one of the Elex shows and was able to compare which ones worked and felt best for me and went with Knipex for both. Really pleased with their cutters as they're lightweight and well made although the screwdrivers aren't quite as tough as the old Irazolas which I think are Spanish made and are the same as Bahco?

Yep CEF is where I got my kewtech stuff also in the 90s. The pliers were a bit bigger than normal ones and I liked them like that. Have been told a lot of tools from round here end up at a local tool auction so I’m now pondering to have a look there but they don’t do viewings till Friday for the auction on Saturday. If you add up what is in your bag and to replace with the same quality it’s a lot. Guessed at around £700+ when I listed everything that was there with the volt testers, lights, socket sets...the list goes on. Wondering if I can last this week with with some old screwdrivers and some blunt cutters and go take a look. I even found one of those lovely reliable light up screwdrivers if I need to do check for safe isolation!!!

Sorry to hear about your tools going missing. I hate tool thieves.

I got a pair of klein tools pliers not to long ago. Actually pretty handy, the only sensible place to get them is CEF.

I've always preferred knipex, but I've found it painfyul when they go missing. NWS has been a good value alternative, but I don't think there's much in the prices difference these days. CK is ok but I think they are over priced for what they actually are, their side cutters with the stripping notches in them are pretty useful though.

I have wiha screwdrivers at the moment, comfortable and good value. I've got the slim line ones which are handy for deep set screw heads or terminals.

Without a doubt there is no alternative for knipex cobra grips. They are the nuts.

Most other things anything will do but if you want quality files hacksaws spanners, bahco are a good way to go.

Dewalt do a handy plaster board saw that folds and has wrasp attached to neaten up those socket boxes.

Another good buy is the bosch laser level, has a plumb line and is generally cheaper than the dewalt.

my basic hand tools:

screwdrivers..... irazolas : wiha slim interchangeables: snap-on ratchet.

side cutters and pliers.... bahco and NWS

grips.... bahco

spanners... snap-on

I always remove ladders and all the good stuff from the back of my van every time I pull up at the end of my working day.
I detest having to do it, and loading it all up again in the morning taking several trips from my front door to the van.
Every morning I look out the window to check my van, always with the fear a door may be hanging off or damaged.

Even so, it is becoming more common for thieves to strike in the day whilst parked outside the workplace.
A friend of mine having just replaced some of his kit from a recent van theft, again had a brand new stihl cutter stolen from a driveway he was working on the other day. He suspects a delivery driver.

I come to the conclusion that these people have no fear because of our ever so weak laws and what appears to be lack of interest from local plod nowadays (as well as lack of). Take things into your own hands and then you will meet the full force of the law, with the probability of the thief suing you and the possibility of you losing your home you have worked so hard for over the years.

In all honesty, what are you supposed to do if you do catch someone in the act? Phone the police, because we all know that by the time they arrive (if they arrive) it's all over. How many times have we heard a story about travellers having property in their compounds and the police being powerless to do anything about it?
I originally and naively thought our laws applied equally to everyone.

I got slated on a previous post as I rejoiced in the comeuppance of a reported thief. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I caught someone, but I know what I'd like to do or would like to happen to such people.
The longer the innocent pander and show forgiveness and sympathy to this scum, the worse it will get.

After a well deserved lay-in, I'm just off to check my van...........

I am contemplating upgrading the locks at xmas when i have time off. I have a van vault inside with all powertools/MFT inside and it would be no easy method to steal due to position.

But the hand tools sit exposed on top of the van vault :/

I was looking at these and fitting myself

Mouse over image to zoom
ArmaDLock High Security Van Door Lock

I always remove ladders and all the good stuff from the back of my van every time I pull up at the end of my working day.
I detest having to do it, and loading it all up again in the morning taking several trips from my front door to the van.
Every morning I look out the window to check my van, always with the fear a door may be hanging off or damaged.

Even so, it is becoming more common for thieves to strike in the day whilst parked outside the workplace.
A friend of mine having just replaced some of his kit from a recent van theft, again had a brand new stihl cutter stolen from a driveway he was working on the other day. He suspects a delivery driver.

I come to the conclusion that these people have no fear because of our ever so weak laws and what appears to be lack of interest from local plod nowadays (as well as lack of). Take things into your own hands and then you will meet the full force of the law, with the probability of the thief suing you and the possibility of you losing your home you have worked so hard for over the years.

In all honesty, what are you supposed to do if you do catch someone in the act? Phone the police, because we all know that by the time they arrive (if they arrive) it's all over. How many times have we heard a story about travellers having property in their compounds and the police being powerless to do anything about it?

I got slated on a previous post as I rejoiced in the comeuppance of a reported thief. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I caught someone, but I know what I'd like to do or would like to happen to such people.
The longer the innocent pander and show forgiveness and sympathy to this scum, the worse it will get.

if you catch them in the act give them 2 black eyes

Can assure you plod are just as frustrated with all the bureaucratic rubbish they have to put up with. Years ago I dealt with a burglar who tried to break in to a posh ground floor apartment in Richmond. Thing is it was being rented at the time by one of the visiting All Blacks. As the burglar was climbing through the kitchen window he was met by a massive fist heading the other way. Burglar must have been off his head on something as he picked up a shovel and tried to smash his way in through the back door. We turned up to find burglar rather flattened and indented into the soft muddy lawn. One of the easiest burglary investigations be ever had and said All Black players actions were never questioned.

Can assure you plod are just as frustrated with all the bureaucratic rubbish they have to put up with. They spend more time covering for NHS with mental health and social work issues. Years ago I dealt with a burglar who tried to break in to a posh ground floor apartment in Richmond. Thing is it was being rented at the time by one of the visiting All Blacks. As the burglar was climbing through the kitchen window he was met by a massive fist heading the other way. Burglar must have been off his head on something as he picked up a shovel and tried to smash his way in through the back door. We turned up to find burglar rather flattened and indented into the soft muddy lawn. One of the easiest burglary investigations be ever had and said All Black players actions were never questioned.

Wera Kraftform, they are lightweight and strong. Had Irazola but kept breaking the heads , when used on the right screw!!
Dewalt are my power tools, impact driver, sds and drill.
Side cutters and pliers I use a mixture of CK and Knipex.
Knipex Grips.
Bahco small & large socket set.

Bought an armoguard tuffbank for my garage and keep tools in there overnight, few of these being sold on various sites.
Tempted to buy a tile gps tracker and put into my toolbag when on site.
Hope you get them back mate.

Really to sorry to hear of your recent losses. I've lost kit myself in similar circumstances. Made me want to kick some tw**ts head in.
I use Wera & Klein screwdrivers, Knipex snips & pliers and Bahco for practically everything else. Power tools I use Milwaukee.
I hope you manage to get decent replacements for everything you've lost without spending a fortune.

And that the hideous, disrespectful thieving scroats that stole your stuff get their comeuppance sharpish.

Reply to Replacement Electrical Tools - Peoples Opinions in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock