Discuss Replacing a gas boiler with electric. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi just after a bit of help ref a swap out as above for one of my builders at his home,
He wants to replace gas boiler with an EHC 9kW Comet/Fusion boiler and has been quoted to have necessary 10mm T & E run from new meter to boiler position which is around a metre away.

Thing is I don't have much experience as yet with boiler controls although following S plan or similar is fine but this is on a tariff which is 20 hrs in 24 off peak rate and 4 hours on full rate in 2 x 2 hr bursts.

They have quoted to fit a Danfoss 103-E7 7 day timer which I expect would be fitted in cupboard where boiler is as there is a programmer in there now existing for gas boiler.

There is a normal room stat on wall in hallway too so I'm thinking it's just a case of rewiring the stat and new programmer to the elec boiler as required plus feeding the programmer via a 3A fused SFCU.

would it be best to run the 10mm feed through a DP switch isolator in cupboard next to boiler ? or direct in ? as it looks like the DNO wants a 4 pole switch fitting for the on and off peak supplies after the meter and then 2x 63A mcbs usually out when general service and off peak consumer units are used.

Although as heating only there is not likely a need for extra consumer unit such as with storage heaters in this case.

Any advice appreciated, Thanks

A freestanding convector heater from the DIY shop is also 100% efficient.

Have you explained that it'll cost more to run than gas? Also, he might find the lights dim every time it cuts in depending on how good the dno network is.

Yeah 100% efficient but I still cant see how it will be cheaper to run :) Even the sales gumpf says ideal for replacing LPG or oil. The control Side of things....The boiler has a built in pump and the control connections R and P are Volt free so do not follow a conventional S-Plan diagram other wise your supply 240V to the boiler PCB and damage it. You will have to feed grey of both valves from R in boiler and connect oranges of both valves to P in boiler. This way the volt free switching is switched from the micro switch in the valves... When the micro switched is closed by the room or cylinder thermostat calling for heat, 240V will be supplied to brown of either valve depending on what's been called for, the valve will motor round and close the switch between grey and orange.

On the efficiency side, looking at BG just now they have gas at 3.6p per kWh and elec at 12p. Electric more efficient? Not so much anymore with modern condensing boilers claiming 90% efficiency and internal voltage drop of say 3% there's only 7% difference. Adjusting for boiler efficiency that's 4p for gas. Forget the voltage drop and use the cheapest night rate of 6.5p for leccie and for the same heating I'm expecting him to pay 50% more at least. What have I missed ?

Yeah 100% efficient but I still cant see how it will be cheaper to run :) Even the sales gumpf says ideal for replacing LPG or oil. The control Side of things....The boiler has a built in pump and the control connections R and P are Volt free so do not follow a conventional S-Plan diagram other wise your supply 240V to the boiler PCB and damage it. You will have to feed grey of both valves from R in boiler and connect oranges of both valves to P in boiler. This way the volt free switching is switched from the micro switch in the valves... When the micro switched is closed by the room or cylinder thermostat calling for heat, 240V will be supplied to brown of either valve depending on what's been called for, the valve will motor round and close the switch between grey and orange.
Thanks Lee, and in reply to others who have also provided help & advice on this... yes I did say it would likely cost more to run but he said gas is costing £280 / month on DD and it can't be more than that. House is 3 bed plus a flat built from old garage but got convectors in there ( very small flat ) house is semi detached prob 5-6 rads in whole house, old range foam cylinder approx 150 ltr immersion element heated only from a timeswitch.

To be fair I have told him to look at upgrading consumer unit etc.. & sorting flat supply better etc.. as is a 6mm run from 3036 board using a cooker switch to isolate it before Cu in there ! Really old wiring too.

On the efficiency side, looking at BG just now they have gas at 3.6p per kWh and elec at 12p. Electric more efficient? Not so much anymore with modern condensing boilers claiming 90% efficiency and internal voltage drop of say 3% there's only 7% difference. Adjusting for boiler efficiency that's 4p for gas. Forget the voltage drop and use the cheapest night rate of 6.5p for leccie and for the same heating I'm expecting him to pay 50% more at least. What have I missed ?
Electric here quoted as 10.22p per unit 20 hrs plus general tariff 14.5p per unit other 4 hrs
8 radiators in house £2,982.40 to install the boiler replacement.

Thanks Lee, and in reply to others who have also provided help & advice on this... yes I did say it would likely cost more to run but he said gas is costing £280 / month on DD and it can't be more than that. House is 3 bed plus a flat built from old garage but got convectors in there ( very small flat ) house is semi detached prob 5-6 rads in whole house, old range foam cylinder approx 150 ltr immersion element heated only from a timeswitch.

£280 a month,for gas only? He must have filled his cavity wall with liquid nitrogen,and have no roof :(

£280 per month for a three bed semi ?
Really?
Gas only?

Somethings wrong in my opinion!
even if he had it on 24/7 i'd expect less than £3360 a year

I hope that's not a gas leak!
I've seen em that big!

£280 per month for a three bed semi ?
Really?
Gas only?

Somethings wrong in my opinion!
even if he had it on 24/7 i'd expect less than £3360 a year

I hope that's not a gas leak!
I've seen em that big!
He moved in not too long ago after buying the place and gas co said it's based on previous owners monthly payment agreement, I saw the dd mandate cause he asked about it but I don't use gas but know it's extortionate on the island plus apparently nowhere near as good as the gas on mainland. Apparently less pure or something ? He argued with gas co but they said until they run 6 months to see what usage is they wouldn't adjust it ! He says there was gas hob before but only those two appliances. He also runs a chip shop well his wife does and took out old gas boiler there as old and replaced with a Zip unit as I supplied the Elec to it.

He moved in not too long ago after buying the place and gas co said it's based on previous owners monthly payment agreement, I saw the dd mandate cause he asked about it but I don't use gas but know it's extortionate on the island plus apparently nowhere near as good as the gas on mainland. Apparently less pure or something ? He argued with gas co but they said until they run 6 months to see what usage is they wouldn't adjust it ! He says there was gas hob before but only those two appliances. He also runs a chip shop well his wife does and took out old gas boiler there as old and replaced with a Zip unit as I supplied the Elec to it.

Island?
where is this, it's not Pitcairn Island ?
If they've run a pipe that far then it could be cheap !

Island?
where is this, it's not Pitcairn Island ?
If they've run a pipe that far then it could be cheap !
Jersey mate, gas pricing below on photo attachment, no idea if more pricey than mainland ?

View attachment 36004

crikey!
a standard tariff quarterly bill in my part of the world is around 3.8 pence per kw/hr and 27p per day standing charge. I think that's expensive. I don't know if your mate's unit is a Kw/hr.

Reply to Replacing a gas boiler with electric. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock