Discuss replacing ceiling light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to replace current light fitting (picture a) with terminal block in picture b. I am a complete novice at electrics and am not sure how or if I am able to fit the new light with just this terminal block. My new light wont fit over the top of the current light fitting.

replacing ceiling light 20171221_200657 - EletriciansForums.net

replacing ceiling light 20171221_203333 - EletriciansForums.net

if, as you say, you are a complete novice, best to pay a local sparks a call-out to do that for you. it's less than a hour's work, inclusive of testing that the circuit is safe. not more than £40 on my watch. post your location, one of us is probably close.

horse for courses I say. nearly xmas .every tom dick and harry will be on the forums doing a bit of DIY cause the wife or girlfriend bending their ear to get the jobs done being the holidays .
HO.HO.HO.

Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately there are a few too many problems raised by your post to enable us to have confidence we would not put you at risk.
I would say that the existing light fitting should be removed entirely and you would need another terminal available.
A professional would be the best option and you could perhaps ask them for an explanation at the time, to assist you for later work.

Hi,to the OP. you may notice,that on your original fitting base plate,you have three sets of terminal groups. You also have one set,at the top of the picture,for the earth cables.

This makes four separate "gatherings",of conductors.

You may have also noticed,the "chocolate block" type connector,in your other picture,has only three.

For this,and other reasons,you may struggle to get any professional spark,to walk you through a job such as this.

It's Christmas,and if you were me neighbour,i would do this for a brew & a mince pie:)

Get a spark in and have a good Christmas:cool:

Hi,to the OP. you may notice,that on your original fitting base plate,you have three sets of terminal groups. You also have one set,at the top of the picture,for the earth cables.

This makes four separate "gatherings",of conductors.

You may have also noticed,the "chocolate block" type connector,in your other picture,has only three.

For this,and other reasons,you may struggle to get any professional spark,to walk you through a job such as this.

It's Christmas,and if you were me neighbour,i would do this for a brew & a mince pie:)

Get a spark in and have a good Christmas:cool:

But I hate my neighbours Peg! It would have to be a full box of mince pies and 80 bags of Yorkshire's finest minimum!

From now on I shall be calling commonly grouped conductors 'gatherings', that's brilliant terminology!

Gatherings should be a new definition when 18th comes out......!

Thanks for the advice. I've decided I won't touch the electrics, however I may have a go at modifying the bracket for the new light. I was thinking if I sit the bracket on the existing fixture ( insulating it with electrical tape) I could try to fit it between the cables and then slot the holes on the bracket which would then hopefully allow me to fit the new light flush with the ceiling. If that doesn't work then I will get a sparky. Anyone agree it's worth a go?

I wouldn't do it personally. A bodge is ok to get something going temporarily if circumstances dictate it, but this is going to be a permanent fixture and should be done correctly.

And all the best for Christmas - may it be a well lit one!

Thanks for the advice. I've decided I won't touch the electrics, however I may have a go at modifying the bracket for the new light. I was thinking if I sit the bracket on the existing fixture ( insulating it with electrical tape) I could try to fit it between the cables and then slot the holes on the bracket which would then hopefully allow me to fit the new light flush with the ceiling. If that doesn't work then I will get a sparky. Anyone agree it's worth a go?
just hope is not a class 1 light fitting !

Looking at the photo it looks like the plasterboard is pink fire resistant plasterboard and the hole of which the cables come through should not be enlargened.Post a picture of your light fitting and further advice may be given.

Reply to replacing ceiling light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock